Cylinders 1 and 4 have ignition intermittently.

More
13 Jan 2012 14:16 #497933 by loudhvx
Correct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2012 00:35 #500806 by alexnelson
Replied by alexnelson on topic Cylinders 1 and 4 have ignition intermittently.
Just had a thought. I once had an issue with another bike where the power to the coils was grounding out on the mounting bracket. This went undiscovered for some time. I went through like 20 fuses in the process of finding it. But it was too late. The coil was burnt out. I took the dyna s from that bike and moved it to the one I'm discussing in this thread. Is it possible I may have damaged the dyna s along with the coil from the previous bike? Can some tell me how I could test for this with a multimeter?

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Mikuni VM24 - 7.5/115/#4 Clip
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC

More
30 Jan 2012 02:13 #500816 by loudhvx

alexnelson wrote: Just had a thought. I once had an issue with another bike where the power to the coils was grounding out on the mounting bracket. This went undiscovered for some time. I went through like 20 fuses in the process of finding it. But it was too late. The coil was burnt out. I took the dyna s from that bike and moved it to the one I'm discussing in this thread. Is it possible I may have damaged the dyna s along with the coil from the previous bike? Can some tell me how I could test for this with a multimeter?

Yes, that is common for Dyna Coil connections to short against the mounting bracket. If the positive side of the coil shorts to ground, then the fuses blow. If the negative side of the coil shorts to ground, and stays shorted, it can damage the coil.

Neither of these by themselves would damage the Dyna S, but if the coil gets damaged to the point where its primary windings short out, then the Dyna S can get damaged.

It is very common for Dyna S ignitions to fail in an intermittent manner.

More
30 Jan 2012 02:21 - 30 Jan 2012 02:21 #500817 by alexnelson

loudhvx wrote: ...but if the coil gets damaged to the point where its primary windings short out, then the Dyna S can get damaged.

It is very common for Dyna S ignitions to fail in an intermittent manner.

Interesting. I certainly say I damaged the primary winding. Its resistance is now at 1.7ohms. I rode it for a while like that too. Would that burn out the DYNA? What's more is my problem is happening on cyl 1 and 4, which is that same coil I burnt out. I don't mean to say I'm using the same coil, just that the magnet on the DYNA that could have been damaged is the 1 and 4 post.

Any way I can bench test this or should I just swap out with another dyna I have kicking around?

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC
Last edit: 30 Jan 2012 02:21 by alexnelson.

More
30 Jan 2012 14:34 #500867 by loudhvx
Dyna recommends that the coil used with a Dyna S is no less than 3 ohms, in order to limit the amount of current in the Dyna S.

A 1.7-ohm coil would likely damage the Dyna S, so I would suspect the Dyna S is the problem.

More
30 Jan 2012 21:42 #500980 by alexnelson
Swapped out a Dyna S from another bike I have and, well, I think that was it. Rode the bike to work today and no issues at all. The idle and power band even seems better. I don't want to speak too soon but I think I might be calling this one fixed. Thanks for everyone's help.

78 KZ650-D1
K&N pods + 4-1 Pipe
Dyna-S
Dyna 3-Ohm Coils
Vancouver BC