Dyna-S problem

More
08 Nov 2011 08:23 #487564 by leitz
Dyna-S problem was created by leitz
I´ve bought last August Dyna-s, Dyna wires and green coils. After the installation my bike (KZ650) rans really great but now i´ve loosen 2 cylinders (1 and 4). I´ve checked all and the problem seems to be a failure on a Dyna-S (1-4) module:
-Module 1-4: magnet facing the sensor: 0.94 Volts, and magnet pointing away from modules: 10.61 Volts
-Module 2-3: magnet facing the sensor: 0 Volts, and magnet pointing away from modules: 10.50 Volts (checking at the coils)
Am I right?
Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2011 09:26 #487569 by Boostable
Replied by Boostable on topic Dyna-S problem
I believe those to be acceptable levels. Here are two things you can do to diagnose if it is a pickup or coil problem.

- Take all plugs out and lay them on the case so you can check for spark while doing this.

To check pickups and coils.
- Switch the outputs of the Dyna and see if the the problem follows the output. If the problem switches to the other coil, then you have a bad pickup. If it does not then you more then likely have a bad coil.

Im guessing bad coil. Be sure to check voltage inputs on coil.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

More
08 Nov 2011 09:33 #487570 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna-S problem
If not already done, would also assure sufficient space (or insulation) between ignition coil primary terminals and mounting spacers.

With Dyna coils, the heads of the screws that attach the wires to the primary terminals of the ignition coil are sometimes too close to a mounting spacer, which causes a short to ground and thereby prevents the ignition coil from functioning.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Nov 2011 15:04 #487618 by leitz
Replied by leitz on topic Dyna-S problem
There are spark on 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4 cylinders. Primary and secondary resistance checks are ok on both coils. There are sufficient space between ignition coil primary terminals and mounting spacers. And yes, i checked the voltage inputs on coils, but i think those 0.94 Volts should be 0.

More
08 Nov 2011 16:02 #487632 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Dyna-S problem

leitz wrote: There are spark on 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4 cylinders. Primary and secondary resistance checks are ok on both coils.

Coil could still be bad. Switch the wiring to the coils and see if the problem stays with the coil or moves.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Nov 2011 16:44 #487637 by leitz
Bountyhunter, i´ve Switched the wiring and both coils seem to be ok

More
08 Nov 2011 22:41 #487703 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Dyna-S problem
sounds like it's the pickup or ig module.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
08 Nov 2011 22:46 #487704 by Patton
Where either coil will fire its two plugs when attached to the signal wire from the right-hand pickup module; and neither coil will fire its two plugs when attached to the signal wire from left-hand pickup module --- indicates a possibly bad left-hand pickup module or an issue with the signal wire such as shorted or internally broken.

As known, the coil charges while the signal wire remains grounded through the pickup module, and fires as the signal wire becomes ungrounded when the rotor magnet passes the pick-up module.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
09 Nov 2011 01:41 #487734 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Dyna-S problem
You may want to check the wiring that comes out of the ignition cover, to behind the engine. I just had an issue with mine sitting on top of the muffler, and melting the insulation. You may have a similar problem that ended up damaging the wires.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

More
12 Nov 2011 13:53 #488181 by leitz
Thanks for all the replies. I rechecked everything and tried to contact with Dynatek because Dyna S is under warranty but do not answer my emails, so i will call them (a nightmare due to my poor spoken english)

More
12 Nov 2011 17:56 #488210 by Patton

leitz wrote: There are spark on 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4 cylinders....

Spark seen on 2/3 is signaled to coil from 3 o'clock module.
If same signal wire from 3 o'clock module is attached to the other coil, should spark on 1/4.
Sparking plugs from either coil using signal wire from 3 o'clock module indicates the module is okay.

Repeat the test on the other coil using signal wire from 9 o'clock module that does not spark 1/4.
If module is bad, will not spark 2/3.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
12 Nov 2011 18:11 #488213 by clutch
Replied by clutch on topic Dyna-S problem

Patton wrote:

leitz wrote: There are spark on 2 and 3 but not in 1 and 4 cylinders....

Spark seen on 2/3 is signaled to coil from 3 o'clock module.
If same signal wire from 3 o'clock module is attached to the other coil, should spark on 1/4.
Sparking plugs from either coil using signal wire from 3 o'clock module indicates the module is okay.

Repeat the test on the other coil using signal wire from 9 o'clock module that does not spark 1/4.
If module is bad, will not spark 2/3.

Good thought. I would also replace the spark plugs for 1/4, as they have probably been fouled by gas and won't spark when wet.

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...