Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 08:05 #499770

• jydog
  • jydog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
]Jack, how are you going to drive your coils? I may give up this route and go with firing off the negative of the coil and do fuel only. The reason is, the stock kawasaki ignition curve is pretty good for a natually asperated engine and I am just adding un-needed complexity to the system to gain control over the advance. I'll need this when I do a turbo but for now I just need to get it on the road. So Here is my plan..

I got this off one of the msruns.com sites - thanks to Matt_GSXR and EWflyer

So you'll run a line off of the coil negative line and put the diode (IN4003) on it with the banded end toward the coil. The run 12volt power through a 1K ohm resistor and make the top branches of the "y" with these two lines. Then extend the bottom line of the "y" into the Microsquirt's OPTOIN+ line. The OPTOIN- line gets connected to ground.

[img]lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4MCXG9VzJKs/T...eed_trigger.jpg[/img
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jydog.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 09:42 #499778

• Boostable
  • User
  • Thank you received: 13
Finally got these uploaded.

Here is the single pickup..

Here is both pickups..

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Last edit: by Boostable.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 09:54 #499780

• jydog
  • User
Nice! that is what it is supposed to look like. Ill make you a deal. You work on the ignition side and Ill work on the fuel aned we will divide and conqure this thing. Im about 80% done wiring just need a return on my tank and a good trigger signal.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 24 Jan 2012 11:06 #499791

• Boostable
  • User
That sounds like a plan!

I will probably use the Bosch BIP373 for an igniter setup. Its small and cheap and you can stack them on a single heat sink and tuck them away.

For experimentation I may play with a stock igniter as well in case anyone wants to go that route in the future.

I have a set of stock pickups from the 82 that I will test as well. Will be a nice comparison between stock and Dyna S to see if there is a difference.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 11:12 #499986

• jydog
  • User
Jack, can I get a closer look at your setup? pics and details of your testing. I have tried everyting to get a good signal throught tunerstudio and all I get is spikes and now my ecu is cutting out. I may ship mine back and have them test it to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. I wasnt aware of the Bosch BIP373 for an igniter setup. Good info
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:03 #499993

• Boostable
  • User
Sure bud, what info would you like? Are you running the free version of TS or a registered copy? If registered, have you looked at the input log?

What do you mean your ECU is cutting out?

For the inputs I hooked mine up exactly like this..

Cables are labeled VR1 and VR2.

~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:10 #499994

• jydog
  • User
free version, I've looked at the logs and msextra has the diagnosics you can see but all I get is a spike once in a while. Not like the tachref program and my results where not to great on that either. Its kinda hard to screw up, not impossible but I have tried using the vr sensors with vr1 and vr2 like you and no results and I have tried fuel only with optio +/- and nothing. Now after I get done chranking the ecu resets. I even isolated the ecu wiring from the bike and it still does the same thing. You are using dyna vr sensors right? I even talked to matt and ben at DIYautotune and they verified I was hooking it up right.

On a positive note, I did get a deal on an 82 gpz1100 efi tank today. Im going to try and make that work.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Last edit: by jydog.

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 25 Jan 2012 12:33 #499997

• Boostable
  • User
That's weird for sure.. I have not had the ECU reset on me once thus far. Has it always done this, or just since the version update? Something to do with the MSExtra code???

I will say that my unit is sitting on my bench and is grounded and powered via a bench power supply that I have, so not getting the power or ground from the bike at this time. Not sure if that would make a difference or not, but who knows..

I will run TS tonight and see what my logs look like with the ignition log view and compare that to the tachref program results I already have.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 29 Jan 2012 17:50 #500692

• jydog
  • User
I took everything off the bike, harness and all and hooked it up to a 12v bench power supply. No resets. I have a 24-1 wheel off of a kawi 636 and the sensor and hooked it up to vr1 and now I have a pretty good signal. The pump relay keeps cutting off and on but I think that has to do with the hand tested setup with the wheel. Now comes the hard part. I've got the idea figured out to pop the old reluctor wheel off its pinion and drill / bore out the 636 wheel and mount it in its place. I went around to machine shops in this area and everyone was too busy to cut a hole in it. Any idea how I can make a precise hole in it at home?
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 29 Jan 2012 21:45 #500769

• Boostable
  • User
Glad to hear you have the reset issue figured out, or at least diagnosed. Must be a grounding issue on the bike I would think.

I actually spent a good amount of time on this today testing the stock 82 pickups. I got delayed as my 900 starter clutch took a crap. I managed to "rig" it to work until my rebuild kit gets here this week. Anyway, here is what I did...

I installed the pickups and button from the 82 on to the 900. Wired it into the MS using the VR connections. I figured I would start from scratch go back to the Tachref program so I could compare to what we have seen previously.

Here is what I got on the tachref.

I then loaded 3.78 on the MS and tested again. Unfortunately I couldn't get into the diagnostics portion of the TS as it was greyed out. It may not be supported with 3.78, but I will need to investigate. However I did video the read outs and was getting both RPM 220~240 and the cranking switch activated in MS. Seeing the RPM's tells me that its seeing the pickups.

Last and not least I did what you did and loaded the latest MS Extra code. With this version loaded it did let me access the diag portion of TS and I was able to run and look at the trigger log. Here is what I see...

After all that I went back and started working on testing the injector outputs to see if I was getting a trigger from the ignition. I was able to test both outputs in test mode to make sure everything worked correctly using a 12v test light and the default count of 400 pulses. Both worked fine.

I then hooked up an LED to INJ1 and tested it while triggering off the pickups. I was only able to fire in the begging of the cycle and then end. So tomorrow I need to play with the PW and see if I can simulate an injector load a little better and see what it looks like. But progress for sure....

Here is the video I did as well. Pretty basic, and crappy.. lol

On another subject, what is the size of the hole you need to cut?
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 31 Jan 2012 16:11 #501101

• jydog
  • User
Jack I need to mic it again but I think it is .86"

I went by DIYAUTOTUNE while I was at work and had them check out the ecu. The ecu seemed to be fine but one thing we discovered was that using a toyota distributor with the same style vr pick ups and using dual trigger to test with that we where not getting a reading below 350 rpm. That is right in or above what my cranking range is. This would explain why I was getting no signal or a bad signal. They recommended using a hall sensor and toothed wheel.
81 KZ1000 LTD
Griffin GA

Megasquirt / Microsquirt a KZ 01 Feb 2012 00:24 #501209

• Boostable
  • User
That's interesting.. I wonder what the difference is between your pickups and mine. I would think functionally they would be the same. Maybe a resistance issue or something. I will continue to push down that road and see where it takes me, might end up not working in the end. I hope to have the motor back next week or so, but I may try and setup the 373's on the 900 and see if I can get it to fire in the meantime.
~Jack

1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider