• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Half the wheels, Twice the pleasure..
More
02 Jun 2011 16:41 #454990 by ElSombreroNegro
Replied by ElSombreroNegro on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin
Ok guys:

New condenser (but not points, just cleaned them good)

New EMGO coil

Static timing set as per FSM (ohm tool on points, f on timing mark, move till read first bit of resistance)

New plugs (the old ones sparked at the base of center electrode, very strange..)

Getting gas. :angry:

Getting spark.

125 psi cranking, both jugs.

Rebuilt the starter clutch, now it (sorta) works better.

Valves set as per FSM

Judging by all the above, I SHOULD be running up and down the highway like a madman with the wind blowing through what hair I failed to pull out in my earlier frustration, celebrating a job well done.

INSTEAD: Here I sit in front of this computer wondering why for all that is good and Holy on Gods green earth will this damn motor STILL not start.

All I have been able to get is a backfire or two, then nothing. I tweak the timing and try again, and nothing.

I do have an absolutely worthless battery, and have been trying to start it by jumping from my truck battery. Perhaps THAT is my problem? Bad battery sucking up the juice before it gets put to good use?...

I am lost. I am going to get a new battery, and if that dont make a difference, then I am switching from points to electronic ignition....

Any more thoughts guys? I am still stumped..

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2011 17:20 #454998 by westonboege
Replied by westonboege on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin
If everything is set up and your getting spark (at the right time) and fuel. You may want to make sure the carbs are synched as close as you can get them on the bench, and make sure the jets are adequate for whatever filter/exhaust you are running.

I would just make sure that you are not fouling the plugs or letting them get too wet, as that may be adding to the trouble starting.

More
02 Jun 2011 21:51 - 02 Jun 2011 23:12 #455065 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin

ElSombreroNegro wrote: ...Static timing set as per FSM (ohm tool on points, f on timing mark, move till read first bit of resistance)....

Static ignition timing with ohmmeter should be to indicate when point contacts first separate, which should be when the F mark aligns with the case mark.

Typical F marks look like these:

Attachment advancerstyles.jpg not found

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 23:12 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2011 21:57 - 02 Jun 2011 21:58 #455066 by Patton
Could try spraying starting fluid into carb intake while attempting to start the engine, and see whether the engine will run for a moment.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 21:58 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2011 22:00 #455067 by Patton
It it still a weak, tiny spark?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
02 Jun 2011 22:28 - 02 Jun 2011 22:34 #455077 by ElSombreroNegro

Patton wrote: It it still a weak, tiny spark?

While better than it was, it is still not good as it should be.
My chevy has a better spark And that is what I judge by.
This park is blue And bright But not as fat and intimidating as I would expect it to be.

I have tried starter fluid and can smell it burn. I did get a whoof but not a pop.
I remain convinced that I have an electric issue or perhaps timing.
How would I go about finding the possible cause of a weak spark?

And thank you for the pictures. It was nice to see I did it right. The pics and steps in my manual were a bit hazy.

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2011 22:34 by ElSombreroNegro.

More
02 Jun 2011 23:22 #455095 by Patton

ElSombreroNegro wrote: ...How would I go about finding the possible cause of a weak spark?...

With engine off and ignition switch ON, would first measure voltage received at coil primary, which should ideally match voltage measured across the battery terminals.

This will indicate whether sufficient voltage is reaching the ignition coil.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
03 Jun 2011 00:27 - 03 Jun 2011 00:42 #455103 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin
Check this.
Every DC circuit has two ends + & -, so put your voltmeter + lead on the red primary wire, then the - lead to ground. As Patton says close to Batt volts should be attained. Now move that - lead to the wire going down to the points disconnecting it at the coil. So one on coil + and the other on the points, for ground when they close. Rotate the motor slowly, when the points close you should again have your Batt volts. This shows the points are making good contact across the two contacts. Now rotate some more, should go to 0 once the points open. See if it bad contact at the points as this is the ground side of the circuit for charging the coils.
Also you say you cleaned the points. What have you gaped them to? The gap = Dwell which is coil charge time. To big of gap and low charge time. I don't have an old Kaw book but maybe .012"? Brass feeler gauge is preferred. You don't want any oil even from you skin on the contact faces. When final cleaning after gaping, use a white business card. Close the points by turning the engine, then open the point with one finger and slid the card in. Let the points close against the card, then pull it through. Do this till it comes out white still.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 03 Jun 2011 00:42 by Motor Head.

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2011 04:54 #455131 by ElSombreroNegro
Ok, I will try that. I may just get new point set too.. I already got everything else ..

I have the points set at .034, could swear that's what fsm said but I will double check ..

I was hoping to get it close enough to kickstart but I am tired of kicking and will just pick up a battery.
That will be better for the testing anyhow.

More
03 Jun 2011 15:57 - 03 Jun 2011 16:00 #455209 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin

ElSombreroNegro wrote: Ok, I will try that. I may just get new point set too.. I already got everything else ..

I have the points set at .034, could swear that's what fsm said but I will double check ..

I was hoping to get it close enough to kickstart but I am tired of kicking and will just pick up a battery.
That will be better for the testing anyhow.

Points set at .014". A spark plug gap is .034".

If not already changed, a bad condenser causes a weak spark. Also a bad coil.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Jun 2011 16:00 by bountyhunter.

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Jun 2011 23:47 #457135 by ElSombreroNegro
Problem finaly solved, Thank you all for the help. It was the battery, and I have it running finally!

More
14 Jun 2011 12:44 - 14 Jun 2011 12:45 #457229 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Weak, tiny spark, kz750 twin
You didn't understand what Loudhvx said (although it may not matter).
He was not talking about the way the advancer bolts to the crank, he was talking about the rotor on the advancer, it slides right off the advancer shaft and can be slid back on 180 degrees out.

Most of us twin owners have done that at least once.

Take the bolt off the end of the advancer, spread the weights a little bit apart, and pull on the rotor, you'll instantly understand. :)

You posted while I was typing :laugh:

Congrats!!

KD9JUR
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 12:45 by steell.