charging system woes

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Half the wheels, Twice the pleasure..
More
16 Jun 2011 22:33 #457688 by ElSombreroNegro
Replied by ElSombreroNegro on topic charging system woes
I am convince my generator has failed, as it makes no voltage, and seems shorted out. I have the three phase stator and side cover. I cant find a replacement anywhere online. Can I possibly switch it over to the newer single phase, and if so, please tell me in detail how to and what parts I need.?

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2011 22:39 #457691 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging system woes

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2011 00:48 #457722 by ElSombreroNegro
thanks for the links, I will talk to the rewind guys.

I did just now figure out that the green and brown wires are for the field coil, but I still dont know if they need to be hooked up to something with the aftermarket rectifier...?

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Jun 2011 14:55 - 17 Jun 2011 16:43 #457793 by ElSombreroNegro
Holy bouncing crapcakes Batman, By George, Watson, I think I've got it :woohoo:

from FSM;

"A deffective dynamo is caused by a short or OPEN CIRCUT in either the field coil
or outer armature" (bold mine for emphasis)

All I had to do the entire time was read the damn book and it told me straight up: plug the damn thing in, and it just might start working!

Soooo.... the green and brown wires that formerly went to a now unneeded and therefore missing regulator simply need to be giving an ignition power source to work.

It is called a three phase excited field dynamo, and the field coils job is to create the field that the rotor needs to excite.

Sorry for the hassle guys, but next time someone gets an all in one regulator/rectifier combo with no place to plug in their field coil.. well then we can tell the why they aren't getting a charge!

I have been going through the kz200 wiring diagram, and I dont know where I should splice the brown ignition lead to. Any ideas?

Last edit: 17 Jun 2011 16:43 by ElSombreroNegro. Reason: more info