LEDs won't work!

More
21 Jul 2011 21:23 #464173 by Corrovich
Replied by Corrovich on topic LEDs won't work!
Gumby,

I am having the exact same issue with my LED's, where all four signals come on regardless of which direction the turn signal switch is switched, and my turn signal indicator light is not working. Can you explain in more detail what you discovered was wrong? This problem is driving me crazy. I'm using a no load flasher, and I think i have the wiring correct. I'm curious as to what you did to solve the problem because I am having the exact same issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. I attached a picture of my baby.

Attachment DSCN0943.JPG not found

Just fix it 'til its broke.

1977 KZ400-D4
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2011 11:38 #464438 by Tested
Replied by Tested on topic LEDs won't work!
I'll go ahead and put this thread in the bank as I am sure that once I start trying to put LED's on I will have the same issues.

2008 KLR 650

1977 KZ 750

_____ Have had _____

1981 KZ 440
1970's CR 125
1982 KLX 175

More
23 Jul 2011 12:03 #464445 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic LEDs won't work!
KZ400.com.... A lot of good stuff there for you....
KZ400.com

LED (load) Sensitive relay required...

KZ400 wiring diagram...Turn signal relay, upper right.

How I did my KZ900...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
27 Jul 2011 15:59 #465341 by Corrovich
Replied by Corrovich on topic LEDs won't work!
This may seem like a dumb question but if the turn signal indicator light is wired in parallel to the turn signals, and the turn signals are LED meaning they are using less power, won't the electricity naturally take the path of least resistance and not go through the indicator light at all?

My indicator light is not working even though the bulb is good, and the other indicator lights are working just fine. ie neutral and oil pressure. When I disconnect all of the guage lights and indicator lights, the turn signals work just fine, otherwise all 4 signals come on regardless of which way the switch is push (left or right). I have been staring at my wiring diagram for hours trying to figure out what would cause it and I'm still stumped. I think I may try reconnecting my old turn signals (stock) and see if it has the same problem because I am all out of ideas.

Just fix it 'til its broke.

1977 KZ400-D4

More
27 Jul 2011 20:02 #465379 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic LEDs won't work!

Corrovich wrote: This may seem like a dumb question but if the turn signal indicator light is wired in parallel to the turn signals, and the turn signals are LED meaning they are using less power, won't the electricity naturally take the path of least resistance and not go through the indicator light at all?

No because the LED has a built in series resistor. Both the LED and light bulb will have 12V forced across them.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 02:15 #469681 by gumby prichard
Replied by gumby prichard on topic LEDs won't work!
sorry for the delay guys!!!!!! hope you still find this helpful

I haven't had much time to reply or even get on the forum, but it ended up, i'm pretty sure. being that my indicator light bulb shorted out and caused the circuit to not complete! Now, since i was taking out the speedo cluster and replacing it with a trail tech speedo this is how i came upon this discovery....with the green(signal) light plugged into the led positive(red) and the white(signal) light plugged into the other side led positive(red) and the speedo cluster plugged in, they all turned on at once.....but with the speedo cluster unplugged they worked(but did not blink due to not having the correct flasher relay for leds)

as someone previously stated...the blue wire is simply a constant running light.....

i would say your next step should be to unplug all wires going to the speedo cluster and more importantly the indicator lights.....most likely something is shorted out in there.......CHECK YOUR FUSES TOO! the signals should just turn on the side you want them too, they will be constant because you must buy a led flasher relay that slows down the current, due to the fact that led's use so little energy.

P.s. im sorry if i got the turn signal wire colors wrong...that's the colors i recall they were. feel free to correct me....BUT i know the blue wires are simply running lights and should not be used unless for a separate light that will stay on all the time.

good luck to all if you need anymore help pm me...i may forget to check this thread.

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300

• gumby prichard
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Aug 2011 02:18 #469682 by gumby prichard
Replied by gumby prichard on topic LEDs won't work!
ok looks like one of the flasher wires were gray not white!!!!!! good luck guys

nice bike corrovich. let me know of your finding asap!

78 kz750 twin
77 yz125
91 cr250
99 dr650

ex's:
78 kz400 b1
89 yz80
99 klx300