Testing IC igniter

More
22 Oct 2007 15:21 #177643 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Testing IC igniter
This doesn't look good. . .

Did the tappy tap with the screw driver on the pole pieces, with the ignition ON, and tested for sparks at one or two (had extra plugs, so it was easy to test for spark.) Which did not appear.

Did the second test, which is supply 12v and a direct ground path to first one, then the other trigger supply into the igniter (triggers disconnected). Again, no fire on either coil output.

Then I discovered something.

When I turned off the key, or used the kill switch to shut off 12v to the system, both coils fired simutaneously. Power on, no spark via triggers. Power off, arcky sparky on both coils. Once.

So I guess I have a bad igniter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2007 20:12 #177711 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Testing IC igniter
Do the coils get hot? If yes, then yeah the igniter is shorted or the negative-side wires to the coils are somehow grounded.

However, if you put power to the pickup inputs on the igniter, and they were still connected when you killed the power, then there would be a spark when you kill the power.

If everything is wired up just like stock, then turning the power off should not cause a spark. But, with the pickups disconnected, there's a chance you may get spark at power off.

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/10/22 23:16

More
29 Oct 2007 18:17 #178725 by 76 LTD
Replied by 76 LTD on topic Testing IC igniter
Unless i missed something i dont know why you would replace a Dyna unit with stock stuff.

More
30 Oct 2007 09:04 #178810 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Testing IC igniter
The Dyna uses twice as much power so if the charging system isn't up to snuff, or you spend a lot of time idling or at low speed, the stock system will save some battery power.

More
31 Oct 2007 11:02 #178974 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic Testing IC igniter
76 LTD wrote:

Unless i missed something i dont know why you would replace a Dyna unit with stock stuff.

Check out this thread:

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...w/catid,4/id,132576/

The stock stuff isn't points, but electically it's a lower draw on an anemic charging system.

Seems to be the best of a bad bargain.