Dyna Coil question

• kzconvert_86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2011 19:33 #436934 by kzconvert_86
Replied by kzconvert_86 on topic Dyna Coil question
I'll be damned, Patton that worked!! I will order new wires tonight and see how it goes. So I am guessing that the voltage was leaking from one of the wires directly to the timing cover? Just seems really strange cause they are all brand new wires.

'79 KZ650B3 - Current Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 19:34 #436935 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Dyna Coil question
:unsure: Are plug caps also new?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• kzconvert_86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2011 19:34 #436936 by kzconvert_86
When I did it on the other coil, the voltages jumped off the charts on either port.

• kzconvert_86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2011 19:36 #436938 by kzconvert_86
Yes, all the plug caps are also new.

More
10 Mar 2011 20:28 #436949 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Dyna Coil question
Carefully check the mounting hardware for the ignition coils as some bikes are really close to the frame or other potential grounds.

The input or primary side wires are connected via 10-32 X 5/16" screws included in the kit from Dyna. If you've lost them and have substituted longer screws, they may be bottoming out before they get tight.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• kzconvert_86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Mar 2011 21:11 #436963 by kzconvert_86
Quote from MFolks:

Carefully check the mounting hardware for the ignition coils as some bikes are really close to the frame or other potential grounds.

The input or primary side wires are connected via 10-32 X 5/16" screws included in the kit from Dyna. If you've lost them and have substituted longer screws, they may be bottoming out before they get tight.

I have all the original hardware that came with the coils installed. When I installed them, I put 2 wraps of electrical tape around the mounting post that is closest to the screws to prevent any accidental grounding. Also, the issue isn't that I am not getting power to the coils, it just doesn't seem to be coming back through the port like its supposed to. Err, correction, it is getting SOME power, but its very minimal, not enough to throw a spark.

When I took the coils off, I also noticed that the port that I am having problems with looks like it has a film built up in it. I have tried to clean it up, but doesn't seem to make any difference. It doesnt look like corrosion, just seems the connecting material is less clean/shiny.

The only time I can get a spark on both plugs is if I tie them together like Patton suggested, and they HAVE to be off the timing cover, or only one sparks.

Makes me think:
A. The coil is bad or

B. I have a serious grounding issue somewhere.

I don't think its a grounding issue for two reasons:
1. If I take the coil for 1 and 4 and move it to where the 2/3 coil is mounted, including using the plug wires/plugs from 2/3 and power circuit, I get spark on both plugs. Doesn't matter if the plug wires are touching the case or not, tied together or not.

2. If I mount 2/3 where 1/4 was mounted and use 1/4's plugs/wires, and use 1/4's power circuit, I get the same results as mentioned previously. The rear port will not fire unless I tape the plugs together, and even then, the front ports spark is much greater than the rear. Keeping in mind, I am using the plug wires/plugs from 1/4, which gave me great spark when on the 1/4 coil.

Soooo, I am going to bite the bullet, order plug wires and new coils. I'll post when I have everything.

More
10 Mar 2011 21:40 - 10 Mar 2011 21:45 #436969 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Dyna Coil question
kzconvert_86 wrote:

Hmm, I guess now I am really confused then. Even if I disconnect the plug from the port for #3 cyclinder (completely remove it) I get no spark on #2. But if I move the plug wire from #2 to the port for #3, I get a spark. I am leaving the plug in the same place on the engine, soooo something is not adding up here. Based on your diagram, if one plug wire is completely removed from the circuit, that means that the plug can't/shouldn't fire, as there isn't a complete loop... But it does......

Unless one end of the winding is arcing down (shorting) to ground at one end which lets the other end fly to high voltage and fire one spark. Coils are actually flyback transformers with very high voltage windings. They can fail and have internal arcing. You won't find the arc path with an ohm meter, itwill only happen when the high voltage pulse builds up on the secondary winding.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 10 Mar 2011 21:45 by bountyhunter.

• kzconvert_86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Mar 2011 06:15 #438353 by kzconvert_86
Well, got my new coils yesterday and just finished installing them. Eureka!! Look at that, I have spark on all 4!!

I contacted Dyna about the bad coil, apparently I am just 2 weeks over my factory warranty... (sigh).

Oh well I suppose, but that sure was a strange thing to have happen on a (almost) brand new set of coils!!