kz900 not charging correcly

More
01 Apr 2011 18:02 - 01 Apr 2011 18:04 #441988 by jr.
Replied by jr. on topic kz900 not charging correcly
ok so i put my new reg/rec from z1 on and now i dont get any juice to the batt.:( ok so on the instructions on the new reg it says to hook up the wire with the male connector on it to the DOUBLE female connector where the old reg wire was removed. problem is my old reg wire was not hooked to the double connector it was hooked to the single connector. could someone smarter than me look at these pics of my wiring and tell me if it right????????guess i should tell u all that the numbers on the wires are showing where the white wires are going when i took the plate with all the plugs on it off. my question is if they are all going to the right place ( hope that helped )

Attachment 016-1.jpg not found

Attachment 017-1-1.jpg not found

Attachment 018-1.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 18:04 by jr..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 11:13 - 02 Apr 2011 11:14 #442140 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic kz900 not charging correcly
Not sure I'm seeing this correctly but I have the combo unit and works reaaaaaaaal nice... ;)

Here's how I did mine on my 900....

In your picture, you have the combo units WHITE conductor to Ground!.... The combo unit WHITE conductor should go to your #1 white/red snap in terminal.

The combo unit black is for ground.... I didn't care for that tiny ring terminal so snipped it off, re-solder some longer 16AWG conductor with another ring terminal and SECURELY grounded to my frame on the seat lock bolting mount... Clean frame paint for metal to metal contact.

Maybe this cleaned up wiring diagram will help as well....

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 11:14 by Old Man Rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Conspiracy

More
02 Apr 2011 12:52 #442159 by jr.
Replied by jr. on topic kz900 not charging correcly
ok so i should replace the wire i have #1 on ( white with the red stripe ) with the white one from the combo unit, make sure i have a good ground and i should be good? not sure what happend to the wiring on this bike i sold it about a year and a half ago and when i bought it back it was all messed up :angry:

More
02 Apr 2011 20:06 - 02 Apr 2011 20:12 #442217 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz900 not charging correcly

jr. wrote: ok so my bike will not start without a charger the batt will not hold a charge however when it starts if i rev it up to 4500rpm and check the voltage at the batt its like 17 volts . so my question is if it over charges like that all the time could that be what riuned the batt cause it not even a year old .sounds like the regulator to me what do you guys think ?

No question that overcharging destroys a lead-acid wet cell. The system voltage should be 14V +/- 0.5V when revving the engine. Sounds like the regulator is blown but the alternator is probably OK.

On the reg, the yellow wires should be the AC from the alternator. Some kind of red wire is the +12V sense lead and ground is usually black or green.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 20:12 by bountyhunter.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
02 Apr 2011 21:28 #442238 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic kz900 not charging correcly
most times i have just replaced the stock voltage regulator with a cheap used one and the problem is solved...they can last another few years or last for good....buying a really nice/new one like OMR showed the link on is the better way i'm sure, and will one day buy em myself for my bikes....but for now i have extra old school ones and they seem to work...they can be found for under 30 some days and can also be found attached to the battery box on some low/no bid auctions...i got one with a whole harness and bat box for like 40 once....

90%
sure you could toss a 20 dollar green plug regulator used on there and never mess with it for years....2 blots and a plug in and your done

imo

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
03 Apr 2011 08:51 #442322 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic kz900 not charging correcly
Here's the instructions we put on the back of these units:
- Remove existing regulator & rectifier from bike. Note where the single white wire from old rectifier connects.- Bolt new reg / rec in the place of the old regulator (under the battery box) - longer bolts may be needed.
- Plug the GREEN into GREEN block in electrical panel
- Connect the black ground wire to the engine ground point (behind the kickstarter),
- Connect the white wire into the double female connector (where you unplugged the old rectifier).- Tape over white connector block

You must remove the old rectifier...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
04 Apr 2011 23:29 #442690 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic kz900 not charging correcly

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife