Keyless ignition or key start???

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
11 Dec 2010 04:36 - 11 Dec 2010 04:38 #416336 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Keyless ignition or key start???
yrs back a friend and i had made a total loss system on a kwasaki 1000....we had a inline fuse holder that twist locked and we kept a fuse in our pockets or tucked somehwere on the bike....the fuse holder was under a side cover that just popped off....pop in the fuse push and twist lock the holder and it was good to push or kick start, same to kill the bike......once it was left overnight in nuetral it seems...next day we put the fuse in and the bike must have been near tdc or backburped...because the bike popped to life right as we twsited..sat there on high idle just as crisp warming up as if we had just bump started it.....kinda scared us.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 11 Dec 2010 04:38 by trianglelaguna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
12 Dec 2010 23:45 #416683 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic Keyless ignition or key start???

the bike popped to life right as we twsited..sat there on high idle just as crisp warming up as if we had just bump started it.....kinda scared us.....

LOL

I thought about doing a keyless on my current bike and just using the kill switch to turn it on or off. I could have mounted a toggle inconspicuious (SP?) but where I live is alot like JJwoodman. In the biggest town in our state I'll still start my car and let it warm up with the keys in it in a parking lot and not even think twice.

Even if someone wanted to steal my bike they probably would have sat on it and looked for a key for 5 minutes before giving up and just deciding to walk.

I did decide to go with the key eventually. It was like 18 dollars so I just figured what the hell.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
13 Dec 2010 01:25 - 13 Dec 2010 01:28 #416687 by subby
Replied by subby on topic Keyless ignition or key start???
So how many people here actually consider the theft potential of a bike before they buy it?
You don’t need to answer, for if you really did consider it then you wouldn’t have bought it.

I don’t know any vehicle on the road easier to steel than a motorbike (actually yes, a push bike). Unless it is steering locked, pretty much most just need the back cover popped off or the wires cut from under the ignition and linked up that way….

I say this… go totally keyless ignition and start (that shyte is cool ;) ), what do you have to loose……….

Oh yeh your bike!

Or don’t go keyless and keep the key, what do you have to loose…

Oh yeh your bike again….

You see…. either way you can loose your bike!

Do what you think should be done to YOUR bike; theft wasn’t a consideration when you bought it…
If you want to consider that theft may be a prob with bikes then heres a thought….

A work colleague of mine had his motorbike stolen and the story goes like this…
He road to the local shopping centre (as you do) to withdraw some money from the teller machine (as you do). When he got there he parked on the footpath (as you do) about 50m away from the teller machine, when he got to the machine he forgot his credit card at home turned around to walk back to his bike and… IT WAS GONE!

Witnesses reported, as he started to walk to the teller machine a utility pulled up with 2 guys on the back and pulled the bike into the Ute and drove off all in less than 10 seconds… strong dudes!

Point is, would your key have helped…

in the stable:
1981 Kawasaki KZ750
1980 Suzuki GS1000
1980 Suzuki GSX750
1982 Yamaha XJ650 TURBO (3 of)
Last edit: 13 Dec 2010 01:28 by subby.