charging problems

More
25 Jul 2010 18:24 #385753 by ccentralm
Replied by ccentralm on topic charging problems
i havent any idea what my dad has and hasnt tested but ill relay all of this new info to him. one thing that he keeps going on about is that the compression could be too high after the engine is warm, making it to difficult for the starter to turn over. is there any truth to that? he also wanted to vent the valve covers as we have them blocked off right now due to the removal of the emissions control junk that came stock with the bike. i was under the impression that the bike would burn a piston if everything wasnt plugged except for the crankcase breather hole (which i have a filter on right now).

1982 Kawasaki KZ 750LTD. i wanted the big boy 1000, but there's like a billion of these 750 ltds running around. so what the hey!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2010 18:32 #385755 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic charging problems
Plugging off the holes at the valve cover to block the Air system is OK.
The increased compression will make the starter work harder and if the system has a weak link it will show it. But If all in correct working order I would think it should start the engine, maybe a bit of a chore if system is weak. Is yours a 2 brush or 4 brush starter? I would swap to a 4 brush if yours is 2.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Aug 2010 10:06 #394776 by ccentralm
we've found a new problem that i wanted to run past you guys. the headlight bulb has three prongs coming off of it and from what i understand, each prong is pulling 4.3v. is this right? is there an easy way to correct this if this is a problem. what things should be checked?

1982 Kawasaki KZ 750LTD. i wanted the big boy 1000, but there's like a billion of these 750 ltds running around. so what the hey!

More
29 Aug 2010 10:25 #394781 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic charging problems
ccentralm wrote:

we've found a new problem that i wanted to run past you guys. the headlight bulb has three prongs coming off of it and from what i understand, each prong is pulling 4.3v. is this right? is there an easy way to correct this if this is a problem. what things should be checked?

Three wires to headlight are for bright, dim, and ground.

Each prong should be supplying full battery voltage to the particular bulb filament being lit.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
02 Sep 2010 15:12 #395679 by ccentralm
so does that mean this is correct in 4.3v going to each prong and should need no correcting?

More
02 Sep 2010 16:13 #395695 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging problems
I'll try to explain on the headlight bulb wiring:

One prong is the ground circuit(usually a BLACK with YELLOW wire)

Another prong is the high beam circuit(maybe BLACK with RED stripe).

The third prong is the low bean circuit(maybe RED with YELLOW stripe).

If you remove the headlight from the housing, the headlight bulb will have the socket plugged into it, carefully pull the socket straight out without twisting. Now you can check the voltage going to the headlight using a meter. The voltage will be the same on both high and low beam circuits, it's the bulb that makes the high and low beam brightness difference.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
02 Sep 2010 18:34 - 02 Sep 2010 18:35 #395712 by Patton
[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Sep 2010 18:35 by Patton.

More
02 Sep 2010 18:35 - 02 Sep 2010 18:36 #395713 by Patton
[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Sep 2010 18:36 by Patton.

More
10 Jan 2011 11:43 #421249 by ccentralm
i'm going to give up on the dyna ignition and turn everything electrical back to stock. the only problem with this is the fact the stock wiring harness has been cut when the stock IC igniter was removed from the harness completely. heck, perhaps this is the route of all of the problems. anayways, i'm tired of all the new fangled hot rod crap and just want my old 750 back. i plan on going back to original coils and plug wires too. i see a few cheap wiring harnesses on ebay. does anyone know what models coincide with my 750H3 as far as electronics go? i would really appreciate this.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Jan 2011 14:22 #421260 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic charging problems
Before giving up and going away from the Dyna, maybe have a look at some threads.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=4&id=388730

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=4&id=397011

Maybe post where you are as lots of guys here to help you, and your dad. You hadn't posted so I would think all the guy's thought you fixed or sold it.
That bike should handle the extra system draw from the Dyna Ignition.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2011 17:02 #421323 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic charging problems
ccentralm wrote:

i'm going to give up on the dyna ignition and turn everything electrical back to stock. the only problem with this is the fact the stock wiring harness has been cut when the stock IC igniter was removed from the harness completely. heck, perhaps this is the route of all of the problems. anayways, i'm tired of all the new fangled hot rod crap and just want my old 750 back. i plan on going back to original coils and plug wires too. i see a few cheap wiring harnesses on ebay. does anyone know what models coincide with my 750H3 as far as electronics go? i would really appreciate this.

Not sure why stock harness was cut.All that was needed was to unplug ignitor harness and wire Dyna into red wire (switched voltage).I have Dyna S and Dyna 3 ohm coils on my Kz and they function perfectly.bj

More
11 Jan 2011 10:13 #421487 by ccentralm
then this very well could be my problem. i failed to mention that not only is the harness chopped but one of the coils was blown too due to wiring mistake. i was having my dad do all the electrical, but i'm done throwing money at it having him experiment. i just want to return it to stock. does anyone know what 750 models use the same wiring harness as my 82 750 ltd? there's a few examples on ebay for an 80-83 750's, but i couldn't figure out how to cross reference a wiring harness.