76 KZ 900--Where do I start

More
11 Jun 2010 04:28 #375039 by ZTop
Replied by ZTop on topic 76 KZ 900--Where do I start
Got it. Sorry, like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic--I just do the basic stuff. But what you suggest makes sense and sounds logical to try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2010 04:34 #375040 by ZTop
Replied by ZTop on topic 76 KZ 900--Where do I start
No problem Jeff, I'm new here too--so thanks. I'll try anything. In the case of your suggestion, I actually have tried Champion plugs (N2C's)in the past but don't remember how that worked out it's been so long. When I mentioned Champion plugs to the mechanic--he cringed so don't know if that's a common opinion of Champions or not. But--like I said--I'll try anything. I'm stopping in at the shop after work today to give the mechanic all the suggestions you all have provided.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
11 Jun 2010 05:36 #375044 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic 76 KZ 900--Where do I start
basketcase wrote:

I know I am new here and y'all can tell me to shut up but after reading this thread it reminded me of my old 76 KZ900, dejevue.

Go to the local auto shop and cross reference your plugs with a set of champions. (I do hate them plugs in everything else) I had the same issues and a whole season and a thousand bucks in cool parts with a shitty running plug fouling bike. Last time it ran on 3 cylinders I was right at a parts store and crossed them with anything they had cause they didn't have the NGKs. Only thing was the champions. I swear I didn't have to change them out for 3 years till I sold the bike.

Just for chits and giggled give it a whirl, try to check the gap but I didn't and had enormous success. All the problems simply went away. Had different coils, points, gaps, timing, carbs, smooth bores, hot coils, electronic ignition kirkers etc etc. nothing helped till the plug change.

Jeff

Just make certain you get the EXACT cross over plug. Champ & NGK heat ranges are very different. On heat range in a Champ is equal to about 3 in an NGK. DO not go one heat range hotter if the store doesn't have the direct B8ES cross over in Champion.

PS - I've seen Champion plugs make quite a difference in 2 stroke engine. We did some testing along those lines on snowmobiles in the 80's. I was surprised myself.

Larry C