Tach pickup

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 17:56 #368838 by hocbj23
Tach pickup was created by hocbj23
Need some assistance. Swapped the failing stock Kawi ignition for a Dyna S,3 ohm green coils,etc. When u do this swap u lose ur tach so I bought a good aftermarket tach pickup and installed it.Tach works ok up to about 5k rpm and then it becomes unreliable. I have tried moving the sensor location around on the coil wire but still acts a little weird.Anyone have similar issues with a resolution? Thanks much.Bike is 82 kz 1000 csr but has electronic instrument pack instead of stock cable drives.bj

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2010 18:07 #368846 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Tach pickup
"When u do this swap u lose ur tach "... :huh: ?

Whoa, learned something new.... ok...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 18:26 #368858 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Tach pickup
Well maybe I should have stated I lost MY tach.When u put a Dyna S in u no longer need the ICIgniter which is the white connector on ur harness plate.When disconnected My tach no longer works.OK? Take it from there with any tips or advice.Sorry shouldnt generalize.Thanks.bj

More
18 May 2010 19:40 #368903 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tach pickup
Is your tach a combo? I mean when a button is pushed it becomes a voltmeter? On my 82 GPz1100 B2 model the left ignition coil has a black wire that supplies the tachometer.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 May 2010 19:45 #368911 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Tach pickup
Old Man Rock wrote:

"When u do this swap u lose ur tach "... :huh: ?

Whoa, learned something new.... ok...

no tach drive on head/electronic B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
18 May 2010 19:59 #368916 by hocbj23
MFolks wrote:

Is your tach a combo? I mean when a button is pushed it becomes a voltmeter? On my 82 GPz1100 B2 model the left ignition coil has a black wire that supplies the tachometer.

No it is just tach only,no voltmeter.Yep, that is where external tach pickup is installed now-on the black lead on coil one--still acts weird with erratic readings.I even wrapped it in tape thinking it was picking up interference from coil but that didnt help either.Thanks.bj

More
18 May 2010 20:34 #368923 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Tach pickup
I'd check for a good tight electrical connection and possible loose ground(s). Negative(-) battery terminal going to the engine mounting bolt clean and tight?

No plastic multi pin connectors in the circuit? If so, dis-connect them, spray with contact cleaner(NOT WD-40!!) and re-connect and try again.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 May 2010 08:57 #369018 by pgboyd
Replied by pgboyd on topic Tach pickup
When I replaced my ignition components with Dyna S, there were two tach leads on the new unit. I don't have the instructions in front of me and don't remember the colors of the wires. One wire sent twice the number of pulses as the other wire. The first wire I hooked in to the black wire off the coil and my RPMS were double what they should have been, so changed it to the other wire.

I believe that the Dyna website has the instructions if you're missing them.

My tach works fine now.

Phil
Northern VA

Phil Boyd
Northern Virginia USA
1995 KZ1000P Police Bike

More
19 May 2010 09:07 #369019 by MajDSaster
Replied by MajDSaster on topic Tach pickup
I just had a Dyna S installed on my 81 LTD 1000 and now I have no tach.

Though, considering how many guys I know with bikes that have a speedo only, I have to say that I didn't really miss it yesterday.
Maybe I'll stick a clock on it, unless there is a simple fix to make it work again.

It's a single function tach with no voltage buttons.

Current Ride: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
4th Ride: 1981 Kz1000 LTD (2008 - Storage)
3rd Ride: Wife (1999 - 2005)
2nd Ride: 1982 Kz1000 LTD (1983 - 2004)
1st Ride: 1977 Yamaha SX-650 (1981 - 1983)

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
19 May 2010 13:28 #369048 by hocbj23
Thanks all.I still have my instructions and they are a bit confusing on the multiple cylinder/2 coil system, but I think we followed them as they were written.Its not that it doesnt work,it just works freaky above 5k rpm.Mfolks, I have removed ,cleaned and tightened every ground wire on the bike more than once over the past two years, and I just made a walk around the wiring harness with a spray can of electrical connector cleaner last week so I think all thats in order.Will recheck the grounds especially at the coils again however. Thanks fo rthe input.bj

More
19 May 2010 23:30 #369172 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Tach pickup
Because the Dyna S extends the dwell to just short of continuous, the factory tach may indeed not work. It expects a dwell of about 120 degrees. There is likely not enough time to allow the coil signal to rise back up to create a pulse for the tach to sense.

You would just need a small adapter circuit to use the factory tach with the Dyna S. I wonder if Dyna sells one. I doubt it would be too hard to make one.

So now you have an aftermarket tach that uses a sensor on the spark plug wire? That should work with the stock igition or the Dyna since it is detecting actual spark. Did you try a different plug wire?

• hocbj23
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
20 May 2010 16:30 #369375 by hocbj23
No I am still using the factory tach.The pick up sensor is aftermarket and is on the black coil wire for Number 1-3 coil.Thanks.bj