Sorting out wiring problems

More
08 Jan 2010 15:53 #342263 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Sorting out wiring problems
I like using the Packard "Weather Pack" style of connector also. The problem with them is a special pricey crimper is needed along with the cable seals and connector pins.

I'm slowly redoing the wiring on my 82 GPz1100 B2, replacing the open backed Japanese connectors with ones that are moisture resistant.

It takes a while to understand the technique of crimping the male and female pins. Most of the weather pack connectors are rated at 20 amps but some in my case needed to be 30 amps for some circuits so I had to buy the next higher rated connectors.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2010 19:01 #342294 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Sorting out wiring problems
I thought dielectric grease was THE thing to use on connections.
I have done so myself, and haven't had any problems so far.
I know you have vast knowledge on electrical systems Lou, so will think twice about using it from now on.:blush:

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
08 Jan 2010 19:54 #342298 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Sorting out wiring problems
Well, many people report using it (dielectric grease) with no problems. But I've come across too many bikes that had all sorts of wierd symptoms. I would trace a circuit that seemed fine one minute, but then 5 minutes later the same circuit would be dead or have a significant voltage drop. Lights would dim, the charging circuit may get erratic. Sometimes the ignition would sputter etc.

Usually what happens is that high-current circuits will experience voltage drops and connectors that overheat. This is because as the surface area on the connectors reduces from grease contamination, the resistance goes up which results in voltage drop and heat generation.

It may be that if the connectors are tight, the grease can't get in and cause problems. If you have no symptoms I wouldn't worry about it.

More
24 Jan 2010 01:43 #344227 by Gra
Replied by Gra on topic Sorting out wiring problems
Well, after much soul searching and renewed confidence, I borrowed a multimeter and eventually worked out how to use it!!! The battery was measuring 10.5 volts and I managed to test the power going to the coils at various points (using the multimeter). There were a few dirty connections, but the main breakdown in the circuit is the ignition. I ended up disconnecting the 6 pin connector to the ignition and putting a wire across the white and yellow terminals.

I gave it a kick and low and behold, I had spark!! I couldn't believe it. Getting the bike running was delayed as I had to purchase a new fuel line as the old one was stuffed. After a few hours the bike roared into life.

It was a rewarding feeling to get this far. I hope to take it for a spin tomorrow on the road as I haven't ridden it and want to check out the gearbox.

I would say this is the second time the engine has run in 5 years. It needs a bit of a tune up, there is an air leak in the carbie manifold, but overall I am very happy so far.

Does anyone know the minimum voltage required to run the bike??

Next steps are as follows;

1. Sort out the ignition
2. Fix the wiring to recharge the battery (will probably include sorting out the rectifier/regulator as I believe I have the wrong one)
3. Go through and connect all the indicators etc.

I will keep you all updated.

Cheers

Gra

KZ650 1979

1979 KZ650 - Under restoration

More
24 Jan 2010 05:26 #344235 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Sorting out wiring problems
Not sure of the specific model we're speaking of so here's a KZ650 site I found for the wiring diagrams...

diagrams.kz650.info/wiring/WiringDiagrams.htm

Let us know which one and once you have at least a DVM, several ppl here with electrical/electronic knowledge/experince will be happy to help you out....

OMR

BTW, Mfolks... Holly crapola... You actually typed that all out.... :blink: I Bow to the master.... :laugh: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
24 Jan 2010 12:29 #344312 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Sorting out wiring problems
No, actually it's in one of my data bases. I've got quite a library of motorcycle related "Fixes" that come in very handy. More like a "Cut and paste" operation.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)