Battery Drain #2

More
26 Oct 2009 17:14 #329792 by kzmitch
Battery Drain #2 was created by kzmitch
Not sure if anyone will see an addition to the previous post I made, so I'll start an extension here.
So, it's been a while since we talked about this but I finally got a multimeter. Topped off fluid in the battery last and got it charging. Put it in the bike this afternoon and started her up (been sitting since last time we talked). Voltage across terminals was at 12 volts prior to putting in bike. Don't know if you guys are gonna believe this but voltage at idle was 23V, up to about 50V at 4500rpm!! This is definitely a very bad thing. Turn signal blew the minute I tried them. Situation has certainly deteriorated since last check-up. Any ideas??

1978 KZ650 C2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2009 17:29 #329800 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Battery Drain #2
I suspect the regulator/rectifier has failed. have you been to www.electrosport.com and used their troubleshooting page?

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Oct 2009 11:37 - 27 Oct 2009 11:38 #329940 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Battery Drain #2
kzmitch wrote:

Don't know if you guys are gonna believe this but voltage at idle was 23V, up to about 50V at 4500rpm!! This is definitely a very bad thing.

I think the battery has to be bad. If it is a good battery, the alternator output would never be able to force the voltage that high. Your alternator's regulator may also be bad which would have destroyed the battery by over charging it.

NOTE: this assumes the voltage readings are accurate. If it is a digital meter, it may be getting goofed up by electrical noise.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 11:38 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Oct 2009 14:23 #329956 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Battery Drain #2
Yea, those readings are impossible with a battery loading the circuit. Either a bad meter or battery is open circuit internally or the cables are not hooked to the battery.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Oct 2009 15:41 - 27 Oct 2009 15:49 #329965 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Battery Drain #2

Yea, those readings are impossible with a battery loading the circuit. Either a bad meter or battery is open circuit internally or the cables are not hooked to the battery.

I have actually seen this happen before, and most times there is some incorrect wiring or damaged component.

Unplug the 3 yellow wires that run from the alternator to the rectifier/regulator pack. Don't let them touch anything/eachother!

Then start the bike and check the voltage. The bike will run fine for a while on just the battery, allowing you to check all the lights, etc.
You can use a known good car battery as well.
Don't try to run the bike with anyhting over 16Volts or so, it could burn out the coils, or cause a wire-fire.

Keep extinguisher handy as per normal safety with bikes ;)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 15:49 by TeK9iNe.

More
27 Oct 2009 15:44 #329967 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Battery Drain #2
On the other hand if the battery is bad, and the regulator is good and working properly, the regulator will sense that much voltage going through system and shut down charging voltage. If the rectifier is good but the regulator is shorted internally (pass through) you very well could see that high a voltage at the battery. Take the battery to a Napa or Autozone and have them test it under load. If it checks out okay then replace the regulator.

More
27 Oct 2009 15:50 #329969 by YUKABODOS
Replied by YUKABODOS on topic Battery Drain #2
Wouldn't the main fuse blow from the Voltage spike and amp surge? Have you checked the fuses or am I out to lunch on this one?

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
27 Oct 2009 16:51 #329977 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Battery Drain #2
YUKABODOS wrote:

Wouldn't the main fuse blow from the Voltage spike and amp surge? Have you checked the fuses or am I out to lunch on this one?

The amperage was probly not high, long enough. I would deffinately replace all the fuses with new, if not already done. The old glass fuses are notoriously unreliable, and can leave you stranded without notice. If you can switch to a blade fuse box, all the better.

Cheers.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
27 Oct 2009 23:42 - 27 Oct 2009 23:44 #330036 by bountyhunter
polkat wrote:

If the rectifier is good but the regulator is shorted internally (pass through) you very well could see that high a voltage at the battery.

I don't think a stock alternator can output enough current to drive a decent battery voltage that high. I believe the battery's internal resistance would have to be significantly higher than normal to allow it.

It certainly is possible to see transients in the 50V range but those are not true battery voltages, they are transients that appear across internal inductance in the bike's electrical circuits. Such noise transients can make a DMM read goofy high voltages that are not really there.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 23:44 by bountyhunter.

More
27 Oct 2009 23:45 - 27 Oct 2009 23:46 #330037 by bountyhunter
TeK9iNe wrote:

YUKABODOS wrote:

The amperage was probly not high, long enough. I would deffinately replace all the fuses with new, if not already done. The old glass fuses are notoriously unreliable, and can leave you stranded without notice. If you can switch to a blade fuse box, all the better.

Cheers.

B)

If I recall, the main current outputs from the alternator/regulator don't go through any of the fuses. At least, they don't in my 750.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 27 Oct 2009 23:46 by bountyhunter.

More
28 Oct 2009 06:33 #330065 by kzmitch
Replied by kzmitch on topic Battery Drain #2
Alright, so we've come to the conclusion that my battery is fried, most likely due to the high voltages going across it. But a bad battery wouldn't be the cause of those high voltages? That should be a lack of operation of the regulator? I was using a dial MM, not digital set on the 50V range. Steps from here are to get the battery checked at NAPA. Do I really want to hook up my good car battery to the bike? IF it is the regulator, wouldn't it then just fry my car battery?

1978 KZ650 C2

More
28 Oct 2009 12:19 #330112 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Battery Drain #2
Your battery may indeed be fried, but the regulators in these bikes use the shunt method with thyristors (SRC) and are triggered by sensing the voltage in the electrical system (through the-usually-brown wire of the regulator). If the system sees more then 14.5 volts, the src's bypass the output back to the alternator (please-I'm simplifying here). This should work regardless of battery condition. If the system has enough voltage in it to fry the turn signals (as you mentioned) then the regulator is not doing it's job. Again, your battery may already be fried, but I think your regulator is gone too.