no spark, 'Gerex' electronic ignition, 1978 kz1000

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
More
25 Sep 2009 17:59 #323925 by newOld_kz1000
I have the standard model, not the police, not the LTD, the 'Standard' model "A2" 1978 kz1000.

And it came to me not running. Put a new battery in it -- wowsa the lights work, the *starter* works (YAY!), all the electricals work.

But no spark. I've got brand new plugs and I do the 'plug-in-the-plug-lead-resting-on-the-cylinder-head' spark test on all 4 cylinders. As I crank the motor over with the starter button, NO SPARK on any of the 4 plugs.

So I pulled the points cover off the right side of the engine and of course the points were replaced with an electronic ignition rotating thingie, and man-oh-man it is CLEAN in there! Obviously never exposed to any moisture, it's spotless and brand-new-looking behind the points cover.

So I found the little electronic box under the seat for this particular electronic ignition and it says: "Gerex" which I guess in the company name.

Any thoughts on how to get this sparking? I can't find Gerex on the web.

1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2009 18:27 #323935 by MFolks
Considering the age of the unit, it ran well for it's time. I had one of those on my 77 Kz1000 and I noticed before I traded my bike for an 82 GPz1100 B2, that it was getting hard to start unless I cycled the key to "Off" and heard not quite a backfire, more like a puff, then it would start.

If I remember correctly, the sparkplugs were re-gapped to about 0.065,almost double what 0.035 max gap on the stock NGK B8ES plugs were.

I think Gerex went out of business sometime ago, so your best bet would be to get a Dyna "S" from www.z1enterprises.com .

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
25 Sep 2009 19:03 #323944 by keith1
MFolks wrote:

Considering the age of the unit, it ran well for it's time. I had one of those on my 77 Kz1000 and I noticed before I traded my bike for an 82 GPz1100 B2, that it was getting hard to start unless I cycled the key to "Off" and heard not quite a backfire, more like a puff, then it would start.

If I remember correctly, the sparkplugs were re-gapped to about 0.065,almost double what 0.035 max gap on the stock NGK B8ES plugs were.

I think Gerex went out of business sometime ago, so your best bet would be to get a Dyna "S" from www.z1enterprises.com .

i would second that, although sometimes,if i turn my key on ,then off,i get that same "puff fart".... my dyna s has been flawless and i have no clue how old it is..was on the bike when i got it.....

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Sep 2009 20:04 #323953 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic no spark, 'Gerex' electronic ignition, 1978 kz1000
keith1 wrote:

MFolks wrote:

i would second that, although sometimes,if i turn my key on ,then off,i get that same "puff fart".... my dyna s has been flawless and i have no clue how old it is..was on the bike when i got it.....

Ok, I'll go with a new Dyna unit.

HOWEVER - I don't know how to 'unwire' the old Gerex unit so that following the Dyna wiring hook-up instructions will work.

Based on the black electrical tape and other signs, the prior owner must have needed to hack into the stock kz1000 wiring to install the old Gerex electronic ignition box, and I don't have the Gerex instructions to return the wiring to stock.

What's a good way to proceed here? My guess is that the Dyna hook-up instructions assume you're starting with stock kz1000 wiring, which I'm not.

More
25 Sep 2009 20:10 #323955 by PLUMMEN
before pitching the ignition id first check to see if its getting power to it B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
25 Sep 2009 20:21 #323959 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic no spark, 'Gerex' electronic ignition, 1978 kz1000
I just upgraded the ignition on my 77 kz650b to dyna-s from the points, what a difference. I also upgraded my 74 z1 to a dyna-s. Like a night and day difference.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
25 Sep 2009 20:45 #323974 by TerryK
PLUMMEN wrote:

before pitching the ignition id first check to see if its getting power to it B)

Ditto.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
26 Sep 2009 04:11 #324009 by Samwell
newOld_kz1000 wrote:

I have the standard model, not the police, not the LTD, the 'Standard' model "A2" 1978 kz1000.

And it came to me not running. Put a new battery in it -- wowsa the lights work, the *starter* works (YAY!), all the electricals work.

But no spark. I've got brand new plugs and I do the 'plug-in-the-plug-lead-resting-on-the-cylinder-head' spark test on all 4 cylinders. As I crank the motor over with the starter button, NO SPARK on any of the 4 plugs.

So I pulled the points cover off the right side of the engine and of course the points were replaced with an electronic ignition rotating thingie, and man-oh-man it is CLEAN in there! Obviously never exposed to any moisture, it's spotless and brand-new-looking behind the points cover.

So I found the little electronic box under the seat for this particular electronic ignition and it says: "Gerex" which I guess in the company name.

Any thoughts on how to get this sparking? I can't find Gerex on the web.

Start at the points cover and follow the wiring back to your bike's harness. check all of the joins to ensure good connections. The po may have placed an in-line fuse somewhere. If the connections are good and there is power to your coils. the cdi may be toast. As an aside, apparently some Gerex's came with lower resistance coils so if you get a dyna-s make sure the coils are suitable. It'd be odd for both coils to be shot, but who knows, check both and see.

hope this helps.

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
26 Sep 2009 06:21 #324018 by Bluemeanie
Back in the 70's, Gerex was the hot ticket. Do you have a FSM (factory service manual)? If not.... get one. If so just start following wires (yea, it's a LOT of fun!)and compare to wiring schematic. Once you have wiring back to spec it is real easy to hook up the Dyna. Like the guys said, it's a night and day differance, especially when starting in the morning! Let us know... :)

PS, Do NOT use the blue scotch lock in the kit, SOLDER that connection! Don't ask us how we all know! :silly:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Sep 2009 10:48 #324072 by newOld_kz1000
Replied by newOld_kz1000 on topic no spark, 'Gerex' electronic ignition, 1978 kz1000
Okay, some good tips, I *do* have the Kawasaki "Motorcycle Service Manual" for this '78 kz1000, bought a used one on eBay.

I'll look for the following to maybe 'get lucky':
1) loose or oxidized connections in the PO's wiring job
2) a fuse that the Prior Owner (PO) installed in the wiring modifications he made to install the Gerex electronic ignition
3) make sure I've got required voltage to the Gerex CDI box
4) check the coils to see if they're standard or not and also check to see if they have power coming into them

If all the above fails, I'm using my Service Manual to assess the changes to the stock wiring that the PO made to accommodate the Gerex box. Then I'll get the Dyna and see what changes I'll need to remove the Gerex and plug in the Dyna.

Anything I'm missing?
ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A GEREX INSTALL MANUAL, for any kz bike, like a kz650, kz700, kz750, kz900, kz1000? Or a pointer to a web link for Gerex info? Would make this job easier, wiring repair is gonna be time consuming with no clue on how the stock wiring was changed for the Gerex electronic ignition. Thanks to all!!! I'll get this one running with your help!!!

More
26 Sep 2009 11:39 #324077 by Bluemeanie
I went online and found nothing about installation on a Kawasaki, but I did find a PDF about installing on a Honda 750 four which may be very close. Maybe it will help? Check it out...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• newOld_kz1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Sep 2009 13:08 #324085 by newOld_kz1000
Bluemeanie wrote:

I went online and found nothing about installation on a Kawasaki, but I did find a PDF about installing on a Honda 750 four which may be very close. Maybe it will help? Check it out...

Wow, thanks! I will look at the wiring and man, I hope the hookup is similar!