Acewell Speedo/Tach/Gauge Installation?

More
23 Sep 2009 18:16 #323566 by perattzi
Replied by perattzi on topic Acewell Speedo/Tach/Gauge Installation?
I'll buy your stock tach...if you don't need it.

1978 KZ650B w/ Zuki running gear project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2009 18:27 - 23 Sep 2009 18:39 #323567 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Acewell Speedo/Tach/Gauge Installation?
I have the same model as OMR.
It came with 3 different magnets. One was small enough to drop into one of the allen bolt heads for the rotor. I applied a couple of coats of clear nail polish over it as a little security measure.

It allowed me to make a smaller pickup mount bracket that tucked in pretty well.

LCD tach sucks but the digital tach reading is nice. Had the local cops shoot me with radar after I programmed in tire circumference. Only 1mph difference. Close enough.

One thing I wish the guage had was a setting for default mode. When you fire up the bike, you have to select the mode for the digital tach read out. Not a big deal but kind of an annoyance to have to remember to do that every time. I can be done rolling down the road as well.

Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Sep 2009 18:39 by larrycavan.

More
23 Sep 2009 19:10 #323581 by perattzi
Replied by perattzi on topic Acewell Speedo/Tach/Gauge Installation?
I'll buy your stock tach...if you don't need it.

1978 KZ650B w/ Zuki running gear project

More
24 Sep 2009 19:21 #323749 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Acewell Speedo/Tach/Gauge Installation?
I made a bracket for where the old bracket mounted. For tach I soldered on a quick connect like the stock kawi and plugged it into the extra plug for one of the coils. For the speedo I used the Kawi model adapter and with minimal modification attached it into the stock hub speedo drive. Took some time and a GPS but I was able to calibrate the number of turns required to get the appropriate speed displayed.

Only problems I've had is the speedo wires got too close to the front wheel and I ended up buying a new speedo wire set. The other is interference from the spark plugs on the tach. I changed the plugs to resistor type plugs to fix this.

Overall I am very happy with mine and as a bonus I like the lower profile it has over the stock gauge set.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust
Attachments: