Charging issue

More
06 Sep 2009 17:23 - 06 Sep 2009 17:24 #319589 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Charging issue
Old Man Rock wrote:

Your manual should give you some testing/measurements that can be made on the rectifier/regulator combo unit...

Outside of that, really not much to the wiring in that bike...

I thought the 20A fuse is on the downstream (load) direction from the reg/rec assembly? I think whatever is cooking that fuse must be farther down.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Sep 2009 17:24 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2009 14:53 #319719 by Nats82
Replied by Nats82 on topic Charging issue
They are stock coils Bountyhunter. I have found a section of wires,approx. 2 in's long that have been cooked, ie some wire exsposed, 2 black wires going into a female connector. The male connector is on the right side of the bike near the ic igniter, where the RR plugs into the bike. the wires coming out of the plug are three yellow, 1 brown, 1 black. Haven't been able to see anything else above that section of damaged wires. The black wire goes into a male fitting, that connects to the 2 black wires that I mentioned are somewhat melted and some wire exsposed. Going to concentrate in that area for now. Thanks Forum for all the feedback!!

More
07 Sep 2009 20:33 #319797 by Nats82
Replied by Nats82 on topic Charging issue
I did what OMR suggested, unplugged the headlight, and what a difference. At idle it's measureing 12.5+ , @higher rpm,
14.o+ wonder whats up with that? I know this is the correct buld wattage. The guy that had the bike before I had no charging issues. If I wouldn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all:(

More
07 Sep 2009 21:30 #319805 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Charging issue
Nats82 wrote:

I did what OMR suggested, unplugged the headlight, and what a difference. At idle it's measureing 12.5+ , @higher rpm,
14.o+ wonder whats up with that? I know this is the correct buld wattage. The guy that had the bike before I had no charging issues. If I wouldn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all:(

If a stock lamp drawing 40 - 55W is loading the alternator output down, it points to maybe a bad rect/reg or bad alternator winding. It isn't putting out enough juice, but I still wonder what's cooking that 20A fuse.

1979 KZ-750 Twin