Electrical Connector Help

More
11 Jul 2009 05:48 #306137 by grumpy56
Electrical Connector Help was created by grumpy56
Need to replace a 9 pin electrical connector under my gas tank and need some help. It is the non-latching type, but the only kind I can find is latching, but that shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, my questions:

1) How do I remove the spades and connectors in the old connector (2.8mm I think) without damaging them? Would like to use many of the existing ones if I can. Is there a tool for this?

2) I assume there is some trick to inserting the new hardware into the connector.

3) I don't have alot of slack in the harness, so any help to ensure I don't screw it up and have to add wire is appreciated.

4) Do the dealers have these plastic connectors or should I just order on-line?

Thanks.

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350
1972 Suzuki GT380 (In-Process)
In The Past...71 TM400, 72 H-D SS350, 72 GT380, 75 Z1B, 77 XLH, 79 CB750K

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2009 05:59 #306138 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Electrical Connector Help
I think Jeff at Z1 might have those connectors. That or he can tell you where to get one. I did the same thing once. Use a jeweres tool. You can finnd a set of tiny flat blade screw drivers anywhere. (ie. harbor freight) There is a tab that can be depressed from the terminal side. Just slide the tool in and gently remove the terminal. Once you get one out and see the rest go easy. Make sure you diagram the color layout first so you know where to install them again. After removing the terminal slightly raise the tab again before you insert it into the new connector. It's like a small spring tab which you'll see once removed.

More
11 Jul 2009 10:19 #306184 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Electrical Connector Help
www.easternbeaver.com may have what you need for connectors and www.vintageconnections.com is another place to look.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
11 Jul 2009 10:34 #306190 by grumpy56
Replied by grumpy56 on topic Electrical Connector Help
Thanks guys!

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350

More
11 Jul 2009 16:05 #306268 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Electrical Connector Help
arai59 wrote:

I think Jeff at Z1 might have those connectors. That or he can tell you where to get one. I did the same thing once. Use a jeweres tool. You can finnd a set of tiny flat blade screw drivers anywhere. (ie. harbor freight) There is a tab that can be depressed from the terminal side. Just slide the tool in and gently remove the terminal. Once you get one out and see the rest go easy. Make sure you diagram the color layout first so you know where to install them again. After removing the terminal slightly raise the tab again before you insert it into the new connector. It's like a small spring tab which you'll see once removed.

Click on these links for listings at Z1E:

Connectors

More connectors

Yet more connectore

Connector Pin Extractor Tool

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jul 2009 16:12 #306271 by Patton
arai59 wrote:

EDIT PREVIOUS POST

Click on this link, then look at pages 2, 3 and 4 for electrical connector listings at Z1E:

See connectors on pages 2, 3 and 4

Connector Pin Extractor Tool

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jul 2009 16:17 #306272 by Patton
Patton wrote:

arai59 wrote:

EDIT #2 to PREVIOUS POST

Click on this link, then look at pages 2, 3 and 4 for electrical connector listings at Z1E:

See connectors on pages 2, 3 and 4

And here's a link to Z1E's Connector Pin Extractor Tool

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jul 2009 16:53 #306281 by grumpy56
Thanks Patton!

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350

More
11 Jul 2009 17:40 #306302 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Electrical Connector Help
I replaced the pictured connector because it had overheated from using a 100W headlight. I carefully cut the plastic connector into pieces leaving the terminals and wires undamaged. The terminals easily plugged into the new connector – no problem and it is now just like new. I bought the connector at HVCCycle. Just be sure to document (I used lots of pictures) exactly which slot each wire goes into before you cut up the connector. Ed

HVCCYCLE

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2009 18:04 #306306 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Electrical Connector Help
Patton wrote:

arai59 wrote:

EDIT PREVIOUS POST

Just to check my sanity:

Did there used to be an EDIT function here or is my memory slipping?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Jul 2009 18:51 #306317 by grumpy56
650ed: That's a good idea and that's exactly what my 9 pin looks like. I may have one damaged pin, but should be able to use the others.

Patton: Nope, I think your memory is moi bueno.

Lewis
1982 KZ1000-J2
2006 HD FXD35
1970 Suzuki T350

More
11 Jul 2009 20:28 #306339 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Electrical Connector Help
bountyhunter wrote:

Patton wrote:

arai59 wrote:

EDIT PREVIOUS POST

Just to check my sanity:

Did there used to be an EDIT function here or is my memory slipping?

Yes but some abused it to throw sand in others faces then as I heard all were punished. The man has taken charge. Kinda reminds me of a line in the great movie " Cool hand Luke".........what we have here is........failure to commuinate....some men you just can't reach.
www.entertonement.com/collections/4376/Paul-Newman