coil mod / hidden kill switch

More
12 Mar 2006 17:04 #30431 by cary
coil mod / hidden kill switch was created by cary
Just did wiredgeorge's coil mod last week... the relay kit I bought from O'Reilly auto had all the wiring, a fuse holder, and a switch. After wiring everything up and testing it, I went ahead and put the included switch on the relay switch line and attached it in a hidden spot.

With the switch in the off position, the lights come on, and the starter works, but there is no power to the coils, hence, no running. I figure if I ever park somewhere shady, this will deter the average hooligan with a flathead trying to joyride my scoot.

Anyone else try this on their bike, I soldered the switch in, is there any concern that it may corrode or otherwise mess up the bike?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
12 Mar 2006 17:10 #30436 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
soldering beats crimp connects anytime disassembly isnt regularly required!remember to use acid core solder.i use the neutral safety switch wiring as a kill switch and mount a toggle switch under tank or under seat where i know where it is,even with the key you cant start it without knowing where switch is at.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
12 Mar 2006 19:00 #30462 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
Cary, which wire did you put the switch onto? The one that feeds the coils from lug 87? I guess you could probablly put it on wire 87, 86 or 36 and it would cut Ign. power.

Did you tape or shrink wrap after you soldered? Then you should be fine.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s
Attachments:

More
13 Mar 2006 06:15 #30581 by TonyKZ1
Replied by TonyKZ1 on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
You don't want to use acid core, that's used on copper pipes, etc. for plumbing. What you want to use is resin-core, that's normal for electronic circuit use.

Sounds like the switch ought to work very well for a theft deterrent, but of course don't forget about it and then run your battery down trying to get it started. :cheer:
Tony

1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page

• wireman
  • Visitor
13 Mar 2006 08:23 #30620 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
acid core used for plumbing?thats new to me .ive always used Stay Brite 8,or Bridgit for plumbing or silver solder for big stuff.in my book acid core and rosin core solder are the same thing ,self fluxing solder.

More
13 Mar 2006 10:56 #30669 by cary
Replied by cary on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
I used rosin solder and wired my kill switch to the #86 trigger line.... If I ever forget that I've left my kill switch off and can't start the bike, chanes are I'm in no condition to ride anyway :blink:

More
13 Mar 2006 13:39 #30718 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
Just my $0.02 worth but I agree with the switch going into the #86 line. I thought the whole point of the relay is due to the juice going down the #87 line?

Hey Cary, I can understand you wanting as many antitheft devices as you can muster, living in the 'boro.

More
13 Mar 2006 14:00 #30727 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
cary wrote:

If I ever forget that I've left my kill switch off and can't start the bike, chanes are I'm in no condition to ride anyway :blink:

Hey, you could be onto something. Like those breath tester things drunks got to blow in before their car will start... If you can't find the switch(es), then you had better walk home.:silly:

More
13 Mar 2006 14:22 #30732 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
The switch could be inline with either of the 86 legs as an open on either one will keep the relay from operating. Generally, a switch inline with the 86 leg from the kill switch would probably be prefered.

However, if someone knows this circuit were installed on a bike, the switch can be bypassed by shorting out the relay from pins 36 to 87. So, a hidden switch in the 36 line might be the most secure.

The safest in terms of safety from a short circuit of the switch or its contacts to the frame would be in the ground leg of the other 86 pin. The worst a short would do here is keep the relay energized.

I guess I ought to shutup and stop confusing the issue. :silly:

- Nate >>

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Mar 2006 22:56 #30908 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
The trick is to re-wire the bike using only one color wire.

More
14 Mar 2006 04:20 #30937 by modest911
Replied by modest911 on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
I got that trick nailed! haha - I started this project and found that there are differents AMP relays at NAPA - What rated amps is everyone else using?

loudhvx wrote:

The trick is to re-wire the bike using only one color wire.

More
14 Mar 2006 06:06 #30961 by tw..
Replied by tw.. on topic coil mod / hidden kill switch
I've been hearing a lot of positive things about doing the coil mod. Would i see any benefit if i did the coil mod on a bike with a Dyna S ignition and Dyna coils?

tw

2-1976 KZ900 A4
1995 KZ1000 Police bike
1978 Z1R