Keep blowing main fuse

More
22 Jun 2009 08:01 #301311 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Keep blowing main fuse
I had the same issue with my 77 kz650 a couple years back. My problem was entirely in the fuse block. The clips that hold the fuses were slightly tarnished, didn't look horrible at all, but had built up enough resistance that they were blowing the main fuse violently. The wires would heat up SUPER fast and within about 90 seconds (running bike or just key turned on) the main fuse would pop, a couple time it even blew one end off the fuse.

For the short term I took a wire wheel on my dremel and polished up all the clips until they were shiny again. Problem solved. I rode for the rest of the season like that and never blew the main fuse again.

That winter I did one better and put in a modern blade style fuse block. Picked it up from Parts Unlimitied IIRC. Just cut the clips off the stock fuse block and soldered them onto the blade connections for the box. It's got a water resistant cover, modern fuses I can find anywhere, and doesn't blow fuses. Total cost was about $12 IIRC.

Good luck!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2009 08:20 #301313 by solar_eclipse2
Replied by solar_eclipse2 on topic Keep blowing main fuse
I'm not so good with electrical but I've been having a hard time finding the fuses. Do you have pics and/or a how to for that?

More
22 Jun 2009 09:08 #301329 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Keep blowing main fuse
On the 650's the fuse box is under the right side cover. There are three fused links in the box. To convert to the spade terminal set up, you just need a fuse block that holds at least 3 fuses (I got one that holds 6 because it was inexpensive and I just left the other slots blank). Cut the fuse clips off the wires and make sure they're not full of corrosion. Then slip a piece of heat shrink over the wire end and solder it to the terminals on the new fuse block, then slide the heat shrink over the newly soldered connection and hit it with a heat gun or lighter to shrink it up. Do that for all three circuits, put in the appropriate amp fuses, and mount it in a convenient and secure location. That's all it takes.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
22 Jun 2009 10:48 #301346 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Keep blowing main fuse
Do the spade fuse conversion first.

I blew three fuses on Indy to Nashville ride when I first got the bike so, first job, changed the old glass fuses fuse box to individual rubber encassed spade fuse type holders ($ 1.99 each from Autozone). Did not blow any more fuses (until recently, when one of my coils shorted out).

One of the best mods you'll do.

BH