Sudden loss of power then fuse blows? Help please

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Jun 2009 14:31 #300323 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Sudden loss of power then fuse blows? Help please
Thanks for the suggestion Loud. I'm going to give that a bash tonight. Will report back.

BH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2009 18:43 #300431 by Patton
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

...advance mechanism seems to get the timing fully to the "F" mark around 2,000 RPM. The two springs appear to be tight and not stretched. Can the advance mechanism springs lose their "pull" over time, even though they don't appear to be stretched? Where can we obtain correct new springs?

F mark should align with case mark at idle rpm (1200 rpm or less). Same as points system.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Jun 2009 21:17 #300488 by loudhvx
Yeah, good point Patton. The F mark is for idle. On the 550's, at least, the full advance is between two scribe lines. I was referring to adjusting the springs so the timing doesn't reach the two scribe lines too early.

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Jun 2009 11:16 #300621 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Sudden loss of power then fuse blows? Help please
F mark at idle. Thanks. For some reason I was thinking T at idle, F at 2,500 RPM? That may be my problem (a little rough right now). #3 pot somewhat hit & miss (more miss than hit).

Springs wer a touch slack so I followed Loud's suggestion to tighten. Worked extremely well. Did however notice that the large "slip washer" that sits between the base of the Dyna rotor, and the base plate of the advance unit mechanism, was a touch worn on one side, so flipped it over. BUT, for those who care, the washer was a little "cupped" due to the years of wear on one side and, when flipped over, due to the cupping, it held the rotor too tight against the center retaining nut/bolt. Thereby causing binding. Decided to remove the washer all together. No more binding.

Will re-time this evening and report back. Thanks.

BH

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2009 10:55 #301348 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Well, what a difference two new coils and a new Dyna S make! Like a new bike. Thought it was running well before but hadn't realized how much better it could be.

Starts from cold or hot at one very short dib of the button and runs very strong, without missing a single beat, through 7,000+. probably would go well beyond 7,000 but I just don't want to ask it of a 33 yr old.

Thanks again to Patton for the "F" mark reminder for the dynamic timing.

BH