kz750 sounds like an air compressor

More
29 May 2009 10:13 #294823 by smellydog
Replied by smellydog on topic kz750 sounds like an air compressor
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably send the carbs out to wg.... Easy conclusion is that I have a fuel problem & they'll need a better cleaning than I can provide with a can of carb cleaner from Wal-mart. It is unlikely that they were ever tuned for this bike.

Will remove points cover this weekend & look up points adjustment and clear tube test.

Thanks again for advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2009 10:25 #294826 by smellydog
The main reason why I posted the query here is that I was concerned that I miswired something. Based on what I've read so far, my problem is mechanical or gas/ carb.

Again, thank you for the advice.

If anyone knows what that 3-wired black thing is, please let me know as I am very interested in what it does. There's no label, it's about the size of my thumb, but thinner and no one that I've asked, so far, knows what it does. I was told by a local mechanic that he throws them away b/c disconnecting them doesn't seem to affect the bike. Can't believe that Kawasaki would install an useless component, although I still have my wisdom teeth and appendix....

• kawasakibikefan
  • User
  • Riding is a passion most do not understand.
More
29 May 2009 15:01 #294860 by kawasakibikefan
Replied by kawasakibikefan on topic kz750 sounds like an air compressor
Would you be able to post a picture of the 3-wired black thing. It might help us identify it better.

'75 Z1B
'95 KLR250

My Future Buying List:
-Kawasaki KLX450R
-Yamaha R1
-Suzuki DR-Z400SM

More
29 May 2009 17:02 #294880 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 sounds like an air compressor
Just wild guessing that the mystery three wire part might possibly be a switch known as the "brake light failure indicator switch" that's supposed to cause a red dash light to start blinking in event of an impending brake light failure.

There's a dash light that's supposed to glow steady red during brake application and otherwise stay dark. A steady red glow during brake application simply means a brake is being applied, and does NOT prove the brake light bulb is functioning. So the rear brake light itself may be inoperable and staying dark regardless of the steady red glowing dash light during brake application. Basically, the steady red glow simply shows that the dash bulb is working, because we already know when we're appling the brakes and don't need a steady red dash light to tell us.

But what if the red dash light starts blinking while just cruising along with no brake being applied and noticed blinking when it's supposed to be staying dark? The blinking is warning the rider of impending rear brake light failure, and that the brake light is inoperable and not going to shine when brake is applied (likely due to blown rear bulb or wiring issue or fuse problem).

What senses the impending brake light problem? The "brake light failure indicator switch" senses an impending brake light problem, and signals the red dash light to commence blinking and warning the rider that the brake light is inoperable and not going to shine when brake is applied.

Just a guess. But with opportunity to explain function of the sometimes misunderstood red dash brake light.

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jun 2009 07:26 #296490 by Bek82
Replied by Bek82 on topic kz750 sounds like an air compressor
did you ever get this issue figured out? My bike seems to sound like an air compressor as well...please update as soon as you can.

More
19 Jun 2009 19:12 #300782 by smellydog
I haven't completely solved the problem, but I believe I need to do a better job on my carbs. I resolved to send them to WG, since this is something that he does well.

I'm now deployed and won't get a chance to work on the bike for a while. Lemme know if things work out for you.