coil mod question

More
08 Mar 2006 13:46 #29410 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic coil mod question
Hmmmmmm....OK...now I'M confused (but thats not to tough a job anyways!).
Have re-read instructions, re-read these posts, checked MY wiring, and studied the wiring diagram.
Now......all i did was SPLICE into the red/yellow coils wire from the relay. In other words, didnt cut it, tape the loose end, and run ONLY from relay to coil.
The symptoms (Fouled plugs, hard start, etc...) went away, so I guess MY question is:
Do you...
A. CUT the red/yellow, tape loose end, and have ONLY the wire from the coil feed going to relay
B. SPLICE into the red/yellow, leaving original circuit intact
C. Not worry because it's cool either way, so long as there is a connection from the relay lug to the red/yellow coils feed wire.
I guess maybe I just try to over-think stuff once in awhile.

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2006 14:11 #29419 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic coil mod question
i see where you are confused.

the yellow/red wire will NO LONGER be connected directly to the coils. this wire will simply energize the relay to power the circuit that goes to the coils. you can cut the factory end off, you can splice into it, whatever. just disco it from the coils. it doesn't need to go there any more.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
08 Mar 2006 15:26 #29443 by indykaw77
Replied by indykaw77 on topic coil mod question
From "Clear as mud" to "Right as rain".........

Kawasaki Motorcycles...because cars lean th wrong way!

More
08 Mar 2006 18:17 #29492 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic coil mod question
I did no cutting to stock wires, as I wanted to make sure I could go back if needed.
I just unpluged the two red/yellow coil wires form the dual female plug, ran one wire from this dual female plug to relay plug 86, then made a new wire from relay pug 87 to the coils with a dual female plug on the end for the coils.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
08 Mar 2006 21:53 #29530 by solomrus
Replied by solomrus on topic coil mod question
my stock wires were green back into the insulation about an inch. bad enough to feel no remorse going back in there to good clean copper. 8^)

i like to keep factory fittings when and where possible, but it's not always practical to do so. in some cases, it's even better to go with something more up to date.

--r

198o kz1ooo Bravo Four

More
09 Mar 2006 07:07 #29570 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic coil mod question
Don, When I wrote the original version of this coil powering mod tech tip, the person that edited it did some modifying for reasons known only to himself.

When I personally do this mod, I don't cut anything. there is a two out connector right above your valve cover. This is the connector where TWO yellow/red wires run to your coils. These are the power wires for your coils.

In the modification, ONE of these wires becomes the TRIGGER wire for the relay. Just remove your old yellow/red wires and run a NEW wire coming out of this dual connector to the trigger INPUT on your coils. This wires is switched; that is it derives power from a switched source; that is, your ignition switch and goes through your kill switch. In the event of a problem, you can still kill power to the coils by turning off the bike or using your kill switch. I THINK the person who edited the file believed that your coils would remain hot unless you hacked into a wire somewhere but I don't want to conjecture as I can't read minds.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!