Battery charging question

More
21 Apr 2009 17:58 #283858 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Battery charging question
hoghaterkaw wrote:

I have a GS 1100. The single biggest reason for the charging problems is the way Suzuki grounds the Rec/Reg. The Rec/Reg grounds to a rubber mounted plate and with time and rust the Reg/Rec loses it's ground. It's best to ground the Reg/Rec straight to the Battery negative post.

i remember having to replace a reg/rec on my gs1150e and the manual had some funky instructions
about testing it and i vaguely remember having to touch one battery post and something on the frame somewhere with the multi meter and thinking "this is a wierd deal".....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2009 18:38 #283877 by stallau
Replied by stallau on topic Battery charging question
Timebomb,
Thanks for the thoughts(all of them):woohoo: . I did take it to autozone and they said it registered as weak but not bad. I checked it with the engine off and the battery read 12.9 with the engine off. As to storage I had it in the bike over the winter in my garage. While it's not heated it will get down to the low 30's in the middle of winter. I charged it up a couple time but can't say I did it with any consistency.

I plan on working further through the flowchart when it warms up and drys out this weekend.

More
22 Apr 2009 06:17 #284008 by hoghaterkaw
Replied by hoghaterkaw on topic Battery charging question
the overheated connector is showing too much resistance. either at the connect itself or down stream somewhere. i would guess there are other connects and switches in the wiring that will show some level of overheating/resistance too.