Not charging

• violentvintagecycles
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Dec 2008 18:24 #254987 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Not charging
I havent done much since my last post but today i had to move the bike to a new house (moving). Didnt run it but turned the key to see if it happens when its not running and it doesnt.
Gane, i'll try that tommorow, fuse doesnt look like its the right length, hope thats it. Supposed to be 65 degrees here in Jersey tommorow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2008 19:19 #254999 by GPz550D1
Replied by GPz550D1 on topic Not charging
gane wrote:

Robert. This may sound goofy, but, heat at your' main fuse,( a 20 A tube if I recall) is probly due to poor contact at fuse.be it corrosion on blades, lack of tension, or poor solder joint. an excess of current would pop fuse long before enough heat accumulated to melt housing. You might try this as a dio, simply tap into the wires feed ing main fuse and install an inline automotive type fuse assy. if prob goes away,shop ebay for a new fuse block, I'm not sure about your' GPZ, but is probly the same as my 550A1. Hope this helps G

Just bought another fuse block on ebay, but have not installed it yet. You are probably correct in your diagnosis. The fuse does not actually blow, it just gets hot enough to melt the solder and eventually fails. I can temporarily put the two blades together and run the bike for 10 minutes or so and the wires do not even get warm. Maybe just too much resistance in the circuit. Have been temporarily running a 30 amp fuse in the circuit, instead of the 20 and that seems to work ok so far. Thanks.

Robert

1981 KZ550-D1

More
27 Dec 2008 20:05 #255014 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Not charging
Be very careful in using a larger fuse as the wiring may melt/short before the fuse blows/opens.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)