charging system help

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • You keep for your collection, I know you like it.
More
08 Oct 2008 15:10 #240818 by DaytonaMC
charging system help was created by DaytonaMC
I just received a NOS Stator that I purchased of of ebay and, it looks the same but their are more wires coming out of that stator than are coming out of mine. I have a 1977 KZ1000LTD and, the stator I have been using has 3 yellow wires coming from it which hook into the Regulator which has 3 yellow wires one red and, one ground. The stator I just received has 5 wires. green w/red tracer.Pink,light blue, yellow and, black with a blue tracer. It also has 2 plugs which stem from the harness. I should be able to figure where these go but, I am not sure how to wire this up. I know that the solid state regulator is not stock for 77 so, I am just looking for someone who can give me a bit of insight on which wires go where. Thanks a lot

I must remove my skin.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
08 Oct 2008 16:25 #240831 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic charging system help
Pink, light blue, and yellow are for the stator and goes to the (3) yellow wires of the regulator. The green with the red trace is for the neutral switch sensor and the black and blue is for the oil pressure sensor.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Oct 2008 16:43 #240834 by DaytonaMC
Replied by DaytonaMC on topic charging system help
that is what I thought but, was not sure since I do not have the service manual. Thanks a lot you really helped me out.

• Royal1MC
  • User
  • Is it just me, or is it just great to be on a KZ
More
09 Oct 2008 01:19 #240880 by Royal1MC
Replied by Royal1MC on topic charging system help
If you click on the KZ information tab up top, under filebase, you will find the wiring diaghram for your bike and possible more info.

*1980 Z1-R (current))
*1978 KZ1000 LTD w/ Z1-R frnt end (sold)
*1977 KZ650 B1 (sold)

Los Angeles, CA

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2008 17:51 #241009 by DaytonaMC
I appreciate the input. My only problem is that I do not have a stock wiring harness. I did install the Stator and, I did an AC output test. I an getting 50 volts ac at 3000 rpms but, when I plug the stator into the regulator leads I am only getting 12.5 volts dc at 3000 rpms. I am guessing either the regulator is bad or wiring is off. the wiring harnes is completely custom. what do you think the problem could be?

More
17 Oct 2008 14:56 #242286 by dirt_biker
Replied by dirt_biker on topic charging system help
:( Hi I had the same problem, do you have a halogin head lamp if so the system was not made to run a 65watt lamp, and the stock noe is to dim, so I replaced it with a HID set up now I'm geting 12.2 at idle ( 1000 RPM's )and at 300RPM's I'm getting 14.2, to do that you need to replace the seal beam head lamp I got mine from WWW.ricepaddymotorcycle.com but you can also get one from auto store it has to be ( 7" H4 ) they come with a halogin bulb, you won't use the bulb, about $35.00. then get the HID kit from EFX 219-764-3886, about $99.00, this for the HI/Lo Type lamp kit for motor cycles that has the small ballist. the one I receaved had a harnis the had 2 lamp plugins but you only use one, it was easy to install. :cheer: now it put's out more light then my truck with 2 halogin lamps.

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Oct 2008 18:31 #242487 by DaytonaMC
that is a great idea. I do in fact have a Halogen headlight, I guess Maybe I should try to find a sealed beam to fit my housing. I will take my bulb out and, do a charging system test tomorrow and, see what it is charging at with out the light. Thanks for the input. I never thought about that. It actually charged fine before I had the halogen light but, I completely rebuilt the bike so I did not have anything to pinpoint.

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Oct 2008 18:00 #242717 by DaytonaMC
dirt_biker wrote:

:( Hi I had the same problem, do you have a halogin head lamp if so the system was not made to run a 65watt lamp, and the stock noe is to dim, so I replaced it with a HID set up now I'm geting 12.2 at idle ( 1000 RPM's )and at 300RPM's I'm getting 14.2, to do that you need to replace the seal beam head lamp I got mine from WWW.ricepaddymotorcycle.com but you can also get one from auto store it has to be ( 7" H4 ) they come with a halogin bulb, you won't use the bulb, about $35.00. then get the HID kit from EFX 219-764-3886, about $99.00, this for the HI/Lo Type lamp kit for motor cycles that has the small ballist. the one I receaved had a harnis the had 2 lamp plugins but you only use one, it was easy to install. :cheer: now it put's out more light then my truck with 2 halogin lamps.

So, I unhooked my Headlight and, I am getting a lot more charging. I believe I was getting 12.5 vdc at 3000rpms before hand and, I am now getting 13.5 which is still kind of low but, it is way more than I was getting than before I do not have a sealed beam to fit my headlight bucket so I believe I am going to have to either find one to fit it or put a new headlight on. Is there anyway to upgrade the charging system?

More
19 Oct 2008 21:45 #242754 by dirt_biker
Replied by dirt_biker on topic charging system help
the stock system puts out about 119 Watts, my old stator was a little more 142, I replaced it with a over wond stator that now puts out about 165 watts and with the HID setup that only takes 35 watts I now have a laot of reserve
I will lok up ware I got it, but you mite have to get a hevey duty regulator? I don't know how much the whole system draws but with my up grade it still didn't keep up with a hologin lamp but works great on that I switched over to HID system.:silly: :blink: :lol: :P

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2008 15:07 - 20 Oct 2008 15:10 #242854 by DaytonaMC
dirt_biker wrote:

the stock system puts out about 119 Watts, my old stator was a little more 142, I replaced it with a over wond stator that now puts out about 165 watts and with the HID setup that only takes 35 watts I now have a laot of reserve
I will lok up ware I got it, but you mite have to get a hevey duty regulator? I don't know how much the whole system draws but with my up grade it still didn't keep up with a hologin lamp but works great on that I switched over to HID system.:silly: :blink: :lol: :P

I believe I fixed it. I am now getting 14.5 at 3000rpms and, I am still running the h4 Halogen. If you could let me know where you got the high output stator that would be great.I appreciate your input. I also appreciate all those who helped by putting their opinions in. For all those who looked at this thread and smirked because they thought they were too good to help a brother out, I expected as much and, You guys never let me down. Thanks you guys are the shit. High Five!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2008 15:10 by DaytonaMC.

More
20 Oct 2008 15:55 #242862 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic charging system help
High output stators can be found at www.electrosport.com they also sell regulator/rectifier combinations.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• DaytonaMC
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2008 16:40 #242869 by DaytonaMC
MFolks wrote:

High output stators can be found at www.electrosport.com they also sell regulator/rectifier combination's.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I already have the regulator rectifier so all I need is a high output stator. It sems to be charging good now which is a relief since it has not charged since I got it.