Would a loose ground cause the main fuse to go?

• saxjonz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KawboyZ
More
09 Jun 2008 14:45 #218996 by saxjonz
bountyhunter wrote:

saxjonz wrote:

don't they usually completely burn out when they go bad? This fuse was warped but it didn't actually burn out.

They warp from time and running near the rating. The fuse can "blow" near the end where you don't see it but it separates and goes open circuit.

If you have fuses that are warping or darkening, CHUCK THEM and install new ones.

The added draw on the electricity from my dyna system could do that right?

Yes. If you are drawing more than the design value, it could. There isn't a whole lot of extra headroom in bike electrical systems.

Ok that makes sense. I will get all that checked out tomorrow when it's not raining. I have to find a place that sells fuses. Some of these fuses have been in my bike since it was new I am sure. I know that to be true. The main fuse I replaced but ok the others never have burned out on me. I am going to try and buy some new ones today before anything else. I was thinking of just forgoing all of that and buying the square fuses that have the connection and wires and just eliminating the fuse box in favor of three inline fuse holders. That may help a bit as the new fuses will have a tighter connection and probably work better. Thanks

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2008 19:18 #219047 by unkle fester
Replied by unkle fester on topic Would a loose ground cause the main fuse to go?
I had a problem with blowing the main fuse when I turned on my left turn signal.....wound up being a wire was pinched and shorting out in the left handlebar controls where the wires came ou of the housing as the two halves clamped to the bars....I goobered out the hole a little more with a dremel and wrapped the wires with electrical ae to pad it...I missed it at first but looked again and you could barely see where the bare wire had touched......

More
10 Jun 2008 06:42 #219100 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Would a loose ground cause the main fuse to go?
The main fuse will blow when ANY fused circuit on the bike has a short. The main fuse is between the the reg/rec (and battery) and the ignition switch. If some circuit off the ignition switch has a short, the main fuse will blow. I seldom see the smaller fuses blow even if the short is on the circuits they carry.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Jun 2008 12:01 #219154 by BSKZ650
saxjonz wrote:

BSKZ650 wrote:
, that was due toi the wires run inside the bars

what do you mean by wires inside the bars? What bars? Did you have a trick setup with the handlebars or what?[/quote]

The stock kz 650 had the wires run inside the bars, not sure why, but the would chaffe and then short out thus causing the fuse to blow,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
10 Jun 2008 13:34 #219172 by RonKZ650
The wiring through the bars worked great really. I think most issues with it are when things are fooled with in dissassembly like replacing handlegrips, throttle cables ect. Left alone it worked just fine. I much prefer it to crumbling ugly wire harness clamped to the bars.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.