Rectifier Help/Question

More
14 May 2008 11:08 #213570 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Rectifier Help/Question
Phslion wrote:

hmm been busy recently still haven't done anything with the bike.

i was browsing ebay and saw this link . has anyone ever tried it? if it fit it should work fine right? i do have the regulator/rectifier for it already.

It might work, but a higher output alternator can put out higher peak currents which might pop the rectifiers if they aren't designed to handle the higher current. Might not, but it's a possibility.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2008 12:50 #219382 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Rectifier Help/Question
Phslion wrote:

hmm been busy recently still haven't done anything with the bike.

i was browsing ebay and saw this link . has anyone ever tried it? if it fit it should work fine right? i do have the regulator/rectifier for it already.

I've been searching for a higher ouput stator as well and I've looked at these too.

The electrosport people say that these are overwound for an extra 10-15% output. My kz1000 only puts out about 15-20 amps so this is at best another 2 amps. This is nice for charging the battery but not much help for additional lights et al. At least thats my limited understanding. A replacement rect/reg would add to reliabilty but I haven't found any info on how much of a charger boost they would provide.

If you do, I'd love to hear about it!

Sam

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
11 Jun 2008 12:57 #219385 by bountyhunter
Phslion wrote:

The only thing im confused on really is one of the wires. theres 5 wires. 2 yellow(power from stator) 1 black(usually ground) 1 white/red stripe (power out to battery) 1 brown( i have no idea, another ground perhaps?)

That's the +12V sense line you tie to the positive side of the battery. If you leave it open, the thing will over charge the battery/.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
11 Jun 2008 13:00 - 11 Jun 2008 13:01 #219387 by bountyhunter
Samwell wrote:

A replacement rect/reg would add to reliabilty but I haven't found any info on how much of a charger boost they would provide.

If you do, I'd love to hear about it!

Sam

I don't believe upgrading the rectifiers does anything to increase the safe charging current limit. That would be limited by the maximum safe output of the alternator.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 11 Jun 2008 13:01 by bountyhunter.

More
13 Jun 2008 01:42 #219736 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rectifier Help/Question
The brown wire gets battery volotage, but not directly to the battery. It goes after the ignition switch so the brown wire only gets battery voltage when the bike is on. If it's tied directly to the battery, it may slowly drain the battery.