Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Build: Solid State Turn Signal Flasher 22 Apr 2013 17:21 #583567

• TomStark
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
First, Love your avitar! Next thank you for posting this. I have a 77 GL 1000 goldwing, and it has a 30amp system. I want to put EFI on the bike, but the current is really close, so I am getting rid of EVERY light and replacing with LEDs except the head light, that is getting a projector. The LEDs will cut back the current demand by a bunch, will save over 12 amps! I did not want to get the flasher from the store that will work with LEDs because it will draw more than needed. Even if it is only .X amps, still more is more, and I want less. Very happy to find this site, been most useful already!
God Bless!
Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Build: Solid State Turn Signal Flasher 22 Apr 2013 20:08 #583596

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1630
Howdy GL guy. If you're interested in other motorcycle related electronic how-to stuff, check out loudhvx's motorcycle stuff page... he has a link in his signature.

can you modulate 02 May 2013 14:16 #585292

• TomStark
  • User
Could you post a diagram of the brake light flasher? I am putting LED lights all around, and in the back, the turn signals will have parking lamps in them, but never get used. If I had them flash then go solid with the brakes, that would be more attention getting.
Thanks!
Tom

can you modulate 02 May 2013 16:58 #585312

• bountyhunter
  • bountyhunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

Warning: Undefined variable $itemid in /home/kzride5/public_html/libraries/kunena/bbcode/bbcode.php on line 262
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

TomStark wrote: Could you post a diagram of the brake light flasher? I am putting LED lights all around, and in the back, the turn signals will have parking lamps in them, but never get used. If I had them flash then go solid with the brakes, that would be more attention getting.
Thanks!
Tom

Are they red colored lights or amber?

It's illegal to run amber brake lights in the back, red only for brake, running lights.

There are a number of places selling the turn signal flasher converters pretty cheap. Kind of complicated to build because the same light is used for TS and BRK, but the TS has to "override" the BRK so the TS still flashes when brakes are applied.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

can you modulate 02 May 2013 18:00 #585319

• TomStark
  • User
They are amber, didn't think it was kosher, just want to be more visible. I can put in some more red LEDs in the rear bumper, that way they could flash, then go on solid. There are no "dual purpose" lights on the bike, brakes are brakes, running lights are running lights and turns are turns. I am just trying to save every bit of current I can, and I know a solid state flasher is less than the ones in the store. I plan on putting EFI on the bike, and only have 30 amps to work with total, so cutting down where I can. I can still use more lights than original so long as LED and cut the draw way more than 1/2
Tom

can you modulate 02 May 2013 23:47 #585374

• bountyhunter
  • bountyhunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

TomStark wrote: They are amber, didn't think it was kosher, just want to be more visible. I can put in some more red LEDs in the rear bumper, that way they could flash, then go on solid. There are no "dual purpose" lights on the bike, brakes are brakes, running lights are running lights and turns are turns. I am just trying to save every bit of current I can, and I know a solid state flasher is less than the ones in the store. I plan on putting EFI on the bike, and only have 30 amps to work with total, so cutting down where I can. I can still use more lights than original so long as LED and cut the draw way more than 1/2
Tom

You can paint the amber lenses with red candy color paint. That's what I did to make auxiliary brake lights on mine. I can look up the paint color if you need it. It matches the stock brake light color exactly.

that way they could flash, then go on solid.

If nobody else here has a circuit to do that, I could design one with a pair of 555 timers. I just can't do it today because I came down with the flu today and have a high fever and a headache that is crushing my head.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Last edit: by bountyhunter.

can you modulate 03 May 2013 00:32 #585391

• TomStark
  • User
Thanks Bounty Hunter. I have no intent of changing the color of the turn signals, like the amber, I will just add some red LEDs to the rear bumper. The brake lights are in the Vetter trunk, and that is kind of high, so I will put some in low. If you could send me a design, any time that would be great. No rush, I have a LOT of stuff to do before hand. If I got something in 4 or 5 weeks that would be plenty fast enough. I still have some 2.5 inch aluminum bar stock to make into turn signal pods for the front, then similar for the rear. The rears will be a lot less involved, and will probably only need 1.2x2.5 inch aluminum. The fronts, each chunk of bar stock is going to get cut up and will have probably 75% of its weight in chips on my shop floor, and will take probably 5 hours each to make! I have a youtube channel with some of what I do at www.youtube.com/user/GrasshutPerformance...eos?view=0&flow=grid
I really appreciate your help, and sharing your expertise, if I can ever do the same please let me know. Hope you get better soon, being sick really sucks! Lost most of a summer of car shows and bike riding because of health issues, really blows!
God Bless
Tom

• Page: