Engine give weird "puff" when turning off ignition

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
21 Sep 2007 19:46 #172094 by Skyman
For some reason, I couldn't get my engine started tonight. It cranked and cranked, and sounded like it almost caught a couple times, but would never start. Here's the weird part. When I turned off the ignition switch, there was this odd "puff" from the engine. I was able to repeat this a couple times. I would turn the key on, crank it for a few seconds, then turn off the ignition and "puff". And one time, I got a full backfire *BANG*.

Any idea what is going on here?

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/09/21 22:48

West Linn, OR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
21 Sep 2007 21:37 #172118 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Engine give weird \"puff\" when turning off ignition
The '84 GPz550 I once owned did that when the ignitor failed. So if it's your '82 CSR1000, then that would be my guess as to the prob - bad connection or failed/failing ignitor.

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2007 22:04 #172123 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Engine give weird
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

The '84 GPz550 I once owned did that when the ignitor failed. So if it's your '82 CSR1000, then that would be my guess as to the prob - bad connection or failed/failing ignitor.

It's my '78 LTD. Does that make a difference?

West Linn, OR

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2007 22:08 #172124 by Skyman
I should probably add that I have a Dyna S installed. But the '78s didn't have ignitors, right?

I will also add that I took a spark plug tester (the light that plugs in between the plug and the wire). I had spark on all four plugs when cranking. And the plugs fire again when I turn off the ignition. That's what is causing the backfire.

Any idea what would cause this?

Post edited by: Skyman, at: 2007/09/22 01:35

West Linn, OR

More
21 Sep 2007 23:23 #172128 by The Milkman
Replied by The Milkman on topic Engine give weird
Actually, it's gas building up in the cylinders when you are cranking it and it isn't starting. When you turn the ingition off it is like opening the points, and causes the coils to fire the plugs, if a valve is open you will get a puff like that. Check that your vaccum caps didn't get blown off your intake boots when it happened.

78 650-C2, Stock engine, Jardine 4-2 Exh., 17-38 sprockets, dyna ignition and coils, coil wiring mod, carb mod.

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Sep 2007 23:28 #172129 by Skyman
The Milkman wrote:

Actually, it's gas building up in the cylinders when you are cranking it and it isn't starting. When you turn the ingition off it is like opening the points, and causes the coils to fire the plugs, if a valve is open you will get a puff like that. Check that your vaccum caps didn't get blown off your intake boots when it happened.

Okay, then it is normal for the plugs to fire when the ignition is switched off?

If so, then I just need to figure out why the darn thing isn't starting up.

Thanks.

West Linn, OR

More
22 Sep 2007 03:20 #172140 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Engine give weird
If not already, would use strobe-type timing light to check timing and operation of advancer unit. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Sep 2007 06:52 #172152 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Engine give weird
On the Dyna S, it is normal to get a spark from one or both coils when turning off the ignition. If the engine had been running, it shouldn't cause a backfire because the exhaust system should have mostly spent charge in it. Since your bike won't start, you have fuel and air accumulating in the exhaust system. That pops when the final spark occurs.

Have you tried starting fluid to see if it's maybe a weak mixture?

Post edited by: loudhvx, at: 2007/09/22 09:56

More
22 Sep 2007 07:45 #172158 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Engine give weird
My bike does that once in a while.(starts perfect) Dyna S installed about 6-7 months ago. I thought maybe the ignition switch was starting to short out? Only does it maybe 1 out of 5 shut downs.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• Skyman
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2007 16:03 #172222 by Skyman
Okay, problem solved.

On close inspection of the coils, one of the primary lead wires was broken where it connects to the coil. I resoldered it to the post.

But the bike still would not start. So I pulled my plugs. They were all fuel-fouled. All that time cranking with no spark fouled them real good.

I just happened to have a set of new plugs which I had originally bought to use on my CSR project. I put those on, and it fired right up.

Is there any way to recover fouled plugs? Before I put on the new plugs, I tried cleaning up the contacts with a piece of sandpaper. But that didn't seem to help. Can they be cleaned, or should I chuck them?

West Linn, OR

More
22 Sep 2007 19:45 #172273 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Engine give weird
There are actually machines out there that clean up plugs. They look like little pencil sharpeners, but I don't know the details of how they operate. A friend of mine had one and it worked to some degree, but was no substitute for new plugs.

More
23 Sep 2007 22:17 #172452 by ajohnson
Replied by ajohnson on topic Engine give weird
I think the little pencil sharpener is actually a tiny sandblaster. you can recover plugs with a sand or bead blaster, but like loud said, they are never quite like new. Also MAKE DAMNED SURE you blow/clean all those tiny bits of sand/glass out of the plug before it gets anywhere near a bike.