Fried Stator

More
01 Aug 2007 05:31 #161085 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Fried Stator
One problem with the tests in the manual that I have found for the stator is that they tell you to expect 50VAC across any pair of the three yellow stator wires. What they don't say is that you won't get 50VAC at idle EVER... I have tested a bunch of KZ stators on different bikes and all make less than 50VAC at idle... your inital tests were on the low side but not unexpected.

I suspect 4K rpm stator tests would be more realistic because if you were getting full power at idle, your battery would be charging at idle. I have now added a KuryAkyn voltmeter to my KZ1000E1 and my charging is pretty typical... at idle to highway speed, at 12-13VDC, I doubt the battery is charging. At highway speeds, 13-14 VDC and the battery charges. Once you get up to a certain rpm, the bike sees 14.5 VDC or so. This is pretty much what would be expected but I would think that you will see better battery life if your battery was charging most all the time the bike was operated not just at full highway speed...

As far as buying Electrosport products, they sell most stuff direct. www.electrosport.com/

Z1Enterprises.com sells comparable components (heavy duty and high output) made by Ricks... they are good stuff as well.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2007 07:36 #161120 by stone_cold
Replied by stone_cold on topic Fried Stator
Grease Monkey wrote:

Where can the Electrosport units be purchased?

I bought mine from Dennis Kirk. Z1 does have a heavy duty unit and they're really great guys to deal with. The Electrosport is priced a bit better (or it was when I bought mine) but you can't go wrong with either.

Later,
Tony T

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.