how to get running

More
11 Jan 2007 07:04 #104906 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic how to get running
Test to see if the engine can run? 55 PSI compression? Hmmmm why bother? First, how did you check compression? Did you have the throttle wide open or the carbs removed? If not, the compression test was more or less a waste of time. Secondly, if the compression is indeed 55 PSI, did you recheck after putting a teaspoon of oil down the plug holes to compare readings? The oil seals the rings and will cause low compression to rise dramatically. This helps pin point the cause of the low compression as it will be either rings not sealing OR the valve train. I am thinking that compression should be almost three times what you saw so if you didn't check properly recheck. If the compression is still low, then you have to decide on whether to rebuild the engine or just not ride it because 55 PSI compression is way below whatever the service spec is. If you find compression is OK after recheck, then the issue will be fixing the electrical system BEFORE you try and operate the bike. The easiest way is to purchase another wiring harness and install. If the old wiring harness smoked, it was due to a short so try and avoid shorts when reinstalling; that is allowing the harness to be pinched or having bare spots. If the harness did fry, someone had likely modified it in the past so that a section was not fused properly. When at it, test the alternator fully as well as the reg/rec.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2007 07:12 #104908 by ttlord
Replied by ttlord on topic how to get running
well as i mentioned above i am not going to keep stock so i will be making my own harness, basically lights key and starter switch. as for the compression test. i dont remember it may have been 155. it was a couple years ago. i would like to know how to test the alternator and regulator/rectifier??

More
11 Jan 2007 15:54 #105014 by steell
Replied by steell on topic how to get running
Manuals and a wiring diagram are available free of charge at the link I posted above, as well as the answer to any question you could possibly have about a KZ400 or KZ440.

That site is absolutely the best single model motorcycle website on the net, and be sure and drop the owner/webmaster/administrator a note telling him so. Go there and look at it, then try and imagine all the work he has put into making it what it is.

He is also a member here.

KD9JUR

More
13 Jan 2007 22:46 #105526 by ttlord
Replied by ttlord on topic how to get running
ok well i finally got a chance to try to fire up the engine but no go. i had it wired so that the positive of the battery was on the regulator and the coil and the wires form the ac generator were hooked to the regulator and the other side of the coil was going to the points. and then grounds. well the positive going to the regulator got hot and started smoking when i attached the battery. so i would have to say that the regulator is bad. i took the regulator, from my 78 kz, hooked it up no smoke problems but still no go. i did notice that the regulator for the 79 said 7.6? and the one for the 78 said 4.6? neddless to say i didnt even get a spark at the plugs. any ideas? does this sound like i had it hooked up right?

Post edited by: ttlord, at: 2007/01/14 12:03