Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hanging idle 17 May 2019 08:56 #804027

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Over the years I've become more and more averse to chemicals... hence I'd rather cut and weld. Welding is way more "fun" at any rate... though it is not without fumes either.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hanging idle 17 May 2019 09:55 #804034

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269

loudhvx wrote: Over the years I've become more and more averse to chemicals... hence I'd rather cut and weld. Welding is way more "fun" at any rate... though it is not without fumes either.

Soooo, your solution is to cut the gas tank open and scrape the kreme off then weld it back together? Sounds reasonable. LOL ::S:
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Hanging idle 17 May 2019 10:13 #804037

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend

old_kaw wrote:

loudhvx wrote: Over the years I've become more and more averse to chemicals... hence I'd rather cut and weld. Welding is way more "fun" at any rate... though it is not without fumes either.

Soooo, your solution is to cut the gas tank open and scrape the kreme off then weld it back together? Sounds reasonable. LOL ::S:

Yes, simple no? :)

It'll probably never happen, but if done properly, I think it can be more thorough, as it seems any left over liner is going to gum the carbs, and I'm already sick of cleaning liner gunk out of the carbs. Also, i'm hoping if the cuts are placed in the right areas, it won't affect the top-side factory paint job, which is in very nice condition. What will stripper or MEK do to paint? I hate painting ... more chemicals and a bunch of tools I don't have and don't want to have.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Hanging idle 17 May 2019 12:24 #804041

• old_kaw
  • User

loudhvx wrote:

old_kaw wrote:

Yes, simple no? :)

It'll probably never happen, but if done properly, I think it can be more thorough, as it seems any left over liner is going to gum the carbs, and I'm already sick of cleaning liner gunk out of the carbs. Also, i'm hoping if the cuts are placed in the right areas, it won't affect the top-side factory paint job, which is in very nice condition. What will stripper or MEK do to paint? I hate painting ... more chemicals and a bunch of tools I don't have and don't want to have.

I used to have a girlfriend that would over complicate EVERYTHING, then do nothing because it was too much work. LOL

Simple NO. lol

Of course, I'm sure this is only for "what if?" purposes, since very few have OEM paint that is pristine enough to save. Let alone, the welding equipment and skills necessary. In the end, you have a tank with scratched up OLD paint that looks like crap on a welded up tank.

When I decided to remove my liner, I had also decided it was time to put some nice paint on the bike at the same time. Of course, if you are careful enough, and really really really want to save a paint job, it would require the most careful masking , covering and pouring like no one has ever seen. I even put screws in the tank and rotated it in both directions ~1/2 hour each way, packed into my clothes dryer to make sure I got everything out.

Don't try this at home! :-)

Of course MEK and stripper WILL ruin any paint it gets on. so will a welder and cutting torch, and rolling it around on a bunch of welding and grinding debris, to the point that saving the paint will no longer be an issue. . Considering that MINE had a full on " custom" rattle can paint "improvement" . Along with the KOOL kreme job. The paint is of usually of no consideration at this point.

Could you post a few pics of the tanks that you have done this to? Inquiring minds want to know.

Attachment not found

I foresee a very lucrative future doing tank coating removal for the patrons on kzrider. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: proofreading is a good thing. :-)

Hanging idle 17 May 2019 16:59 #804063

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I've had very good success soldering pinholes on a tank without doing undo damage to paint. It just looks like a tiny silver spot on the paint in place of the pinhole. I can also mig parts with doing minimal damage to paint. Obviously I would re-spray the underside of the tank, but the top-side, which is what matters, would be untouched.

I don't think it's overly complicated compared to spending days removing the liner with a chemical then spending days trying to repaint the tank with stock stripes etc. And I'd rather cut and weld than deal with stripping and painting any day.

Hanging idle 18 May 2019 01:10 #804070

• old_kaw
  • User

loudhvx wrote: I've had very good success soldering pinholes on a tank without doing undo damage to paint. It just looks like a tiny silver spot on the paint in place of the pinhole. I can also mig parts with doing minimal damage to paint. Obviously I would re-spray the underside of the tank, but the top-side, which is what matters, would be untouched.

I don't think it's overly complicated compared to spending days removing the liner with a chemical then spending days trying to repaint the tank with stock stripes etc. And I'd rather cut and weld than deal with stripping and painting any day.

There is a whole lotta difference between cutting open a fuel tank, compared to soldering a pinhole. Then trying to scrape a bunch of crap out of it, that would dissolve in a chemical would be an exercise in futility. But HEY, you have at it! It's your tank. :whistle:

If you are getting crap in your carbs, your petcock screen is damaged or gone, and fuel filters can normally catch any small pieces of left over crap. BTW, Your pinholes are exactly what the tank liners are meant to fix.

Attachment not found

I removed my kreme job then flushed the tank several times. I worked the MEK a while to make sure, the kreme was loose inside running screws with the MEK, and using a clothes dryer to automate the procedure a little. Shaking it gets really old fast. I poured the used / contaminated MEK back into the metal can for disposal,. I then flushed it with lacquer thinner then water before I filled it with metal rescue to remove any metal oxide that was trapped under the kreme. The end result is a perfectly clean tank on a bike that starts / screams like a bat outa hell. Always.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Hanging idle 18 May 2019 03:38 #804073

• WIZZZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Have you sprayed carb cleaner round the boots when running, see if the revs kick up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: old_kaw

Hanging idle 18 May 2019 06:55 #804075

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
When cleaning the carbs, be sure the #6 orifice is clear [see below].

And remember to wear eye protection, because the carb cleaner spray always backfires. ALWAYS.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by Patton.

Hanging idle 18 May 2019 08:48 #804079

• old_kaw
  • User

WIZZZ wrote: Have you sprayed carb cleaner round the boots when running, see if the revs kick up.

YES. A vacuum leak or torn carb holders will cause a high idle on a carburetor engine. (A fuel injected engine can compensate automatically. ) Also a torn slide boot if so equipped, can cause sluggish throttle response.

Attachment not found

Also if you did not remove some of the jets, then clean the passages thoroughly, it's time to hit the store and pick up a nice sharp screwdriver that will fit the jets. Any plugged jet or passage will result in the engine not running properly. Some passages may be more noticeable than others.

Patton gives good advice, and he is spot on about the carb cleaner finding the correct passage to squirt directly back into your eyes, always . I even use safety glasses and it seems to know how to get past those. That really stings. lol
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

• Page: