Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 13:44 #800008

• WarrensKZ
  • WarrensKZ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Looks lie you're burning a little oil but not fouled. When I was fouling plugs they would be bridged and not fire. I ran BP8ES plugs with a deeper reach. Also I ran leaner pilots to burn the oil. That worked better but I was going through a lot of oil. Viton valve guide seals cured that problem.
Steve

Im not losing any oil. The plugs have carbon all over them, not oil. Its carbon fouling. Popping in the exhaust and all the signs of a rich condition.

Anyways, if it is the value guide seals, what is the fair market rate to have them repaired? Whats involved? I dont have the time to do this. I would have to pay someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 14:01 #800009

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Popping is usually a lean condition. Your carberation may be way off up and down the RPM range.
Steve

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 14:03 #800010

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Popping is usually a lean condition. Your carberation may be way off up and down the RPM range.
Steve

Which could account for the condition of the black and sooty plug right?

How can the plugs be black (rich) and Im hearing popping (lean) which should result in white spark plugs? Im thinking the carbs are all jacked up.

A friend said this could be a spark issue as well.

Last edit: by WarrensKZ.

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 14:19 #800011

• gordone
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 67
Can it be a clmbination here? You have checked the valve cap?

I understand you can get popping from incorrect valve clearness also.
1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 14:31 #800013

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

gordone wrote: Can it be a clmbination here? You have checked the valve cap?

I understand you can get popping from incorrect valve clearness also.

Im not so interested in the popping because I know where that comes from. We took the baffle out of the 4 into 1.

Rich now Im primarily interested in dealing with why the plugs are sooty, thinking it could be valve seals, ignition coil or the carbs.

My son wants to gift me with a set of Keihin CR carbs. I just might take him up on that.

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 14:38 #800014

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Bad spark plug caps can do that as well. If your plug wires are removable the ends to the coils could be corroded. Take the plug caps off and nip 1/4" from the ends and the coil side too.
Steve

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 15:21 #800015

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Bad spark plug caps can do that as well. If your plug wires are removable the ends to the coils could be corroded. Take the plug caps off and nip 1/4" from the ends and the coil side too.
Steve

What do you think about my son's idea of getting New CR Keihin 29 carbs?

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 15:53 #800019

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Too big for a non modified 650.
Steve

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 16:13 #800022

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor

SWest wrote: Too big for a non modified 650.
Steve

Remember, no more baffle on the bike, so a lot more air now. 29's may be OK

from this forum:

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/51576...-cr29-for-street-use

"math would tell u that 29mm carbs r too big for a 650cc motor, but guys do it and come away with a smile.
there r guys hear running rs34'd on kz810's and report good results. i run them on my 1200cc kz.
1 thing about buying used aftermarket carbs, is that u will never loose money if u sell them later. :) its hard to find them though. :(

generaly speeking, carbs r like cams. if u increase the size of the carb/cam , u gain top end and loose bottom end.
so keep that in mind. if u like ripping back roads and drag raceing, bigger is better. if u like doing wheelies smaller is better."

from another

This gentleman put them on his bike. Says it runs like a dream. He wrote

"I did not ever get the VM24s to run right, even after multiple rebuilds and tunes. I can say that the CR29s are amazingly smooth but if you open them up it’ll scream! I notice that the throttle response is crisp and that it just wants to be ridden fast haha."

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72678.0

Attachments:

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 17:23 #800026

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
He's lying, no way is he getting 29's to run right on a stock motor. The VM24 is a good carb and once dialed in runs great. Put the baffle back into the exhaust, set the floats using the wet method, install 17.5 pilots, 102.5 mains. Make sure all the maintenance has been done. Make sure there is 12 volts at the coils. The bike will run good.

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 17:26 #800027

• WarrensKZ
  • Visitor
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThanks.

The baffle wasnt part of the problem. It was only taken out today. Me and my sons like to make noise (they have KZ's as well) so the baffles stay out. I will have a second think about the CRs. Such a mixed reaction on them. When I did a search here in the forum, lots of posts from 2012 that say the run great.

IN re the bike: The previous owner put a Dyna S in it, but the coils looks stock. Should I get these:

He said these carbs were perfect for my bike. I was not so smart 09 Mar 2019 17:37 #800028

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 647
Its likely kawasaki knew a little more about capacities and carb sizes than some internet forum guy. Z900's and z1000 had 26's on them. When khi bought out the z1 to create the best and fastest road bike available at the time if they could have got better performance from bigger carbs do you not think they would have used them given their aim to blow away the market. Hell, they even held back two years and increased the capacity from 750 to 900 because Ho da beat them to market with the cb 750.
Listen to what the guys are saying, get the 24's set up correctly for your bike and you wont be disapointed.

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!