• Page:

TOPIC:

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 15:18 #550116

• JKRowdy
  • JKRowdy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
New to the forums and the title says it all, little info on the bike:
Picked it up cheap as a project bike, first got it it would start for and run for about two minutes and dump gas all over the floor out the over-flow hoses. When I took the carbs off the boots on the airbox side are trash so old and hard no amount of Armorall would soften them, ended up having to cut two of them just to get the carbs off.

The inside of the carbs was a mess the last guy to work on them had installed a float upside down, and two of the floats were bent. One of the jet needles had a dent on the end of it. I had to find replacement hosing because all of the old vacuum hoses and fuel lines were as hard and crusty as the boots.

Decided after seeing some pods on my buddies bike and the cost to replace the boots (upon inspection noticed the others were cracked) I thought this would be the way to go till I took the box off and found out about the air injection system.... A quick google search brought me here, found a 6 year old post about this very subject but the links to the instructions were broken.

Note: I am a very amateur mechanic so I'll probably have some really stupid questions.

So I guess my questions are, does anyone have a good walk through on how to deal with the air injection system?

My second question is this: Does anyone have a good picture of the correct hose set up on the 79's carbs?
1979 Kz650 C3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JKRowdy. Reason: forgot!

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 16:07 #550128

• Del_Herring
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
The air injection is all that emissions stuff right? If so, it's easily removed, you just plug all the places vacuum and air hoses were running before. Should be two lines to the carbs from it, cap them at the carb ports, two running to the top of the valve cover area. Can be capped off, or connected together, and then one running to the airbox, which can be plugged if using the airbox. (this is how it's set up on all the KZs I've seen at least)

Also, be aware you'll need to do carb tuning if you move to pod filters. Expect to spend some time changing the jetting back and forth to dial them in. If you're just looking for a daily rider it's probably easier to just replace those boots, but you're call, certainly doable, especially if you're having to tear into the carbs already, you'll at least be familiar with them.
1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 16:44 #550135

• JKRowdy
  • JKRowdy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I think I'm going to have to tune the carbs anyway after tearing them down. I ended up buying a second set of carbs (found a deal) that seem to be in better shape then the ones I got. The whole airbox assembly is such a pain to deal with when working on the carbs it just seems to be the way to go. Not to mention the ruined boots.

Plus with the airbox gone their is space for to put a compartment under the seat.

Not going to throw away the airbox thats for sure.
1979 Kz650 C3

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 20:23 #550182

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
  • Thank you received: 46
Before buying those pods do yourself a BIG favor and search this site for Airbox vs Pods. It will always be your choice but at least you will not say you weren't warned or just didn't know. It's not all well I'll just change and be riding a well tuned machine overnight. It would have been just as easy for Kawasaki and all the other mfg's to put pods on their bikes but they didn't for very good reasons.

As for the EP stuff just remove the hoses from the engine and the airbox. Plug the front 2 (I get rubber bungs and caps from the hardware store) and the airbox nipple as well.
Good luck
Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 20:25 #550183

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JKRowdy

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 20:31 #550184

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
Replacing the air box with pods is imo ill-advised.

Replacing the air box hoses is imo money well-spent.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...650&item=11015-057-K

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 20:44 #550185

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Important that each of the two vent hoses exits to open air, usually via a hose exiting underneath the bike, or into the air box, or underneath the seat.

The carbs shown have dual fuel intake tees for two separate fuel lines from the petcock.
The carbs at hand likely have only a single fuel inlet tee located in the center between the two inside carbs.

Would recommend that each fuel line should have an aftermarket in-line fuel filter.

Some carbs have a vacuum nipple -- that looks like a vent nipple -- intended for a hose to a vacuum petcock.
Be sure not to confuse the vac nipple with a vent nipple.
The vent nipples must exit to open air.
The vac nipple, if unused, must be capped/plugged, same as the vac nipples on the carb holders.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 21 Sep 2012 20:50 #550186

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
These examples illustrate carbs with a vacuum nipple that looks similar to a vent nipple --

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Pod installation on a 79 KZ650 C3/w air injection 24 Sep 2012 01:09 #550543

• KraZyRIDER
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
...Patton.

...The Man.

...The info Guru.

...The living Legend!

...Just as the 101st Airborne had a savior at Bastogne by the name of Patton.

...We also have our own savior here on the KZR Board by the name of Patton.

...and we'd be up shit creek without either of them! ;)
Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

• Page: