• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
Put two pair of underwear on

Start the bike

Get on bike

Flog the shit out of it

Man up

Just messin around. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 4TheKZ1000.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 16 Nov 2014 20:50 #653903

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Practicing launch on a hard clay surface (such as a dirt road) may be helpful when first learning, as the tire spins more readily before hooking up, and with less tendency to wheelie.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 17 Nov 2014 04:29 #653916

• etbike3135
  • User
  • Thank you received: 50
Sorry, but I don't recommend doing launches anywhere but the track. Uneven surfaces and other obstructions could send you to the hospital. Anyone who follows drag racing knows we lost a fellows son last spring testing his launch in the parking lot of a strip.
1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 17 Nov 2014 09:33 #653939

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
This isn't something you can learn on a computer screen. Make a trip to your local drag strip when they're running bikes and talk to some riders. 9/10 of them will probably be willing to help you out hands-on. Most tracks run non-competitive test&tune days. That would be the time to just run the bike at your comfort level. Also talk to the track officials. There are going to be safety requirements (helmet, leathers, gloves, boots, safety wire, dead-mans switch) along with a bike inspection. There are different requirements depending upon how fast you are going to go. It's been a long time, but a sub-10 sec pass required a "license". This included a doctor's physical and demonstrated ability. You start out doing just a launch, followed by a launch with one shift, half track full throttle pass and finally full track pass. Each is observed by a track official who must sign-off before going to the next level. The bottom line is it's going to take some commitment if you want to safely experience your Dad's bike's to it's full potential.
Unsupervised in a parking lot or empty street is not the right place.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 17 Nov 2014 09:49 #653941

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
  • Thank you received: 50
My friend, the drag racer who built her own bikes, told me that the Lectrons were "glorified fuel leaks" with no idle circuit, which means that the bike idles like shit and only runs right at WFO. Big cams intensify this behavior.

You'll want to practice with this thing before you ride it in anger...
1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 17 Nov 2014 17:14 #653995

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
The place I use to pacitice launching is a dead flat 300 + yard concrete warehouse area
with no traffic and is a safe place to do just that LAUNCH the bike NOT make WFO pass's
I don't do it by myself and at the most make a 1-2 shift.
I go there to practice my clutch hand not test the bike at the most I mightt do
a 100ft. launch then shut it down..
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

Last edit: by zukdave.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 18 Nov 2014 13:18 #654062

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256
Gary Pena rode a pretty badass CBX on the streets of the Inland Empire.

www.cbxclub.com/davespage/cw89-1.html

You might give it a shot, before you swap it all the way back to stock, ya know?
Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 18 Nov 2014 17:48 #654087

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

slayer61 wrote: Gary Pena rode a pretty badass CBX on the streets of the Inland Empire.

That reminds me of this little grocery getter I saw on Ebay the other day... Street legal!

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 18 Nov 2014 18:33 #654096

• DOHC
  • DOHC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

etbike3135 wrote: Sorry, but I don't recommend doing launches anywhere but the track.

I see that, but there must be some level of practice that would be safe, assuming the location was a good one. I'm confident that Zukdave has found a good place to practice, mostly because in Austin it's pretty easy to find a lot that is clean, flat, open, and well maintained. It would be hard to find an equivalent lot here.

It's the launch that I find most intimidating, and that's what I'd want to practice. As he said, "...at the most make a 1-2 shift." It seems like it's going to take a lot of starts to slowly work up to a decent launch. My impression is that at a test and tune day, I might get say 4-5 starts in? That's a lot of days at the track before WFO.

But I guess that supports MDZ1rider's point: "The bottom line is it's going to take some commitment if you want to safely experience your Dad's bike's to it's full potential."
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 19 Nov 2014 10:50 #654138

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
  • Thank you received: 256
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

dohc wrote:

slayer61 wrote: Gary Pena rode a pretty badass CBX on the streets of the Inland Empire.

That reminds me of this little grocery getter I saw on Ebay the other day... Street legal!

Oh now THAT'S badass!

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit
Wife's BIG bike...... 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and factory FI Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 20 Nov 2014 11:08 #654222

• slowpoke96z28
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Either go to the track with dad (did you not before?) Or find someone who knows and can go to the track with you and look the bike over. A lot of these dudes advocating practicing away from the track are all experienced and have a good idea what the bike will do and how to do it safely. I'd advocate it also. But what I wouldn't is LEARNING this away from a track. If the bike could 60' good when your dad was on it, then it's still going to if nothing has changed. Given your intimidation, a track is best to learn, even if it means only one or two passes per entry fee. A slick and bar bike of the calibre i think we're talking about here leaves a lot harder than a street bike. You can get sideways real quick because it basically becomes a three wheeler (It's gonna carry the front wheel a gear or two) with the rear slick being the "front steering tire" and the wheelie bar wheels being the two back wheels. So if it doesn't hit the bars just right, you can get induced steer. It's an issue because unlike a street bike, this bike will still be accelerating hard in the wheelie. So find someone to go to the track with you and spend the money on a few days worth of entry fees. The bike and your health are worth it.
4.0x's or gtfo lol.

How to run my Dad's Z1 drag bike? 20 Nov 2014 17:57 #654261

• zukdave
  • User
  • Thank you received: 229
Slowpoke I agree with you that's why in my first post I said turn the rev limiter's
down as low as he can and the bike still move itself.
Take it somewhere and just ride it a little and get a feel for it
not go blasting it.

Going to the track for me is a 150 mile round trip and t n t is on Friday night's
so by time I get off work and get there half the night's over.
1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

• Page: