79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 16 May 2018 02:15 #783459

• 577nitro
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55

Firestorm3 wrote:

faffi wrote: DuHamel raced a Z1, Spencer a KZ1000, Crosby a Z1 and a Z1-R, Lawson KZ1000 before the ELR and much more. What is the most desirable version in your opinion? Which one would make the coolest modernized streetbike? The obvious ELR? Or the early Yoshi ridden by DuHamel?* Or something else?

This thing had bits that no other super bike ever saw - aluminum liners with nikasil coating, titanium con rods ( standard wasn't but Muzzy race prepared did ) KR500 brakes with magnesium center on discs - the list goes on.... and that is why I am making a S1 clone, because it IS the best of the best, no question.
Being an Aussie, of all those bikes you listed, I only saw one - Croz on the Yoshi Kawasaki and that thing was fast ( that he was an absolute lunatic on the thing had nothing to do with that either of course...... ) but I would be betting every one of those would have wanted a Muzzy S1 to ride!!!

Wayne

Sir,
I see you have a KZ1000S1, what differences are there on that one, as compared to the one you described above from Muzzy? I've researched as much as I could on these and have become even more confused the deeper I dig. It seems Lawson raced a different version about every other race. Some had Morris wheels, some Dyna-mag, the brakes were all over the place from "hand made from the factory milled from billet", to KR500 brakes to Lockheed/AP. Also engine HP from 130 to 160, but at the wheel or crank? How much did it weigh? I know the forks where KYB, but what kind of valving did it have? What changes where made to the frame, compared to the 79, 80, 81, J and GPZ? Where there any frame differences between the S1's and the Muzzy/Lawson bike. I've heard or read somewhere that Lawson's bike had an adjustable head stock? How was it adjustable?

I'm just trying to get the exact tech specs on the these(S1), compared exactly to what Lawsons winning bike(s) had. Or another way, what was that extra little bit more that his bike had over the ones provided to the public. Then how different from a 81 GPZ1100 and then the released ELR's (not the S1) where they (the frames only)

My goal is to put together a definitive artifact on it, that could then be referenced for all...and to be able to clone one for real.

For me the bikes from this era are magical, and the riders some bad ass dudes with serious skill; now lost with the plethora of rider aids on even the lowest entry level bikes today.

Dr.Gamma provided many answers (thank you very much sir), as he had one as well, and has one of the most fantastic MkII I've ever seen (and faster than an S1 ;) )

Any info would be much appreciated, and of course freely shared for all to see.

Thank,
577nitro/Jason

Last edit: by 577nitro.

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 18 May 2018 22:14 #783649

• 577nitro
  • User

faffi wrote: DuHamel raced a Z1, Spencer a KZ1000, Crosby a Z1 and a Z1-R, Lawson KZ1000 before the ELR and much more. What is the most desirable version in your opinion? Which one would make the coolest modernized streetbike? The obvious ELR? Or the early Yoshi ridden by DuHamel?* Or something else?

Personally, I have a soft spot for the MKII based bike ridden by Lawson.

* yeoldecycleshoppe.wordpress.com/2013/01/...-z1-yoshi-duhamel-1/

Easy this is the best:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyclocrossfool

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 20 May 2018 10:00 #783724

• cyclocrossfool
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
although not a "superbike" my pick would be the Moriwaki with the 8 valve (1015 ?) engine. my vote for best looking bike ever
its cross season buddy
Attachments:

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 17 Sep 2019 23:38 #810999

• 577nitro
  • User

Firestorm3 wrote:

faffi wrote: DuHamel raced a Z1, Spencer a KZ1000, Crosby a Z1 and a Z1-R, Lawson KZ1000 before the ELR and
Personally, I have a soft spot for the MKII based bike ridden by Lawson.

This thing had bits that no other super bike ever saw - aluminium liners with nikasil coating, titanium con rods ( standard wasn't but Muzzy race prepared did ) KR500 brakes with magnesium centres on discs - the list goes on.... and that is why I am making a S1 clone, because it IS the best of the best, no question.
Being an Aussie, of all those bikes you listed, I only saw one - Croz on the Yoshi kwakasaki and that thing was fast ( that he was an absolute lunatic on the thing had nothing to do with that either of course...... )

Wayne

Sir,
Your Signature states you currently own a real S1 is that true? Have you ever dyno'd it? How are the forks different than the standard forks delivery on the J and or GPZ models? I thinking more of the internals. I currently am building a poor mans S1 or Dr. Gamma replica MKII on a 81 Gpz, and I'm about 90% sure I'm going to get a set of the Period Yoshi KYB super bike forks vs something more modern and tweak them with Raceteck emulators. Any info is much appreciated!

Thanks
577nitro

Last edit: by 577nitro.

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 18 Sep 2019 04:36 #811004

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2050
577 nitro,
Faffi has not logged onto this forum since February 2018, so do not be surprised if there is no response from him.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

What's the most awesome Z1 / KZ1000 racer? 20 Sep 2019 13:32 #811119

• 577nitro
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: 577 nitro,
Faffi has not logged onto this forum since February 2018, so do not be surprised if there is no response from him.

Yup see that..bummer, want to know more about the S1 internals.

• Page: