TOPIC:

California's AFM Round 2 Infineon Raceway 20 Apr 2011 08:41 #445771

• CoreyClough
  • CoreyClough's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
TG,

The tire looked like it did everyday and there was no way I would ever chance riding or racing on a tire with a cord showing. Having no idea a out the issue with 18" tire from Avon, I would have ordered one last summer. 130/650-18 rear and 110/80-18 front is what I run. I would never race on a street tire. Dunlop has race tires but they don't work for my wheel/ swing arm size being used. This is why I am going with the 17" wheels for next season.

New tires will be on the bike soon and I will get back out there.

As for the power that additional 11 is at the rear wheel, and before the cam install I had 55hp/35tq. Now I have 66hp/39tq.

The rear suspension has been set up for me and it is balanced with the front all by a suspension tuner.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

California's AFM Round 2 Infineon Raceway 21 Apr 2011 19:53 #446144

• turboguzzi
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72
corey, race tires can be gone way before they look bad, just from the heat cycles chemical deterioration, so its not a bad strategy to change them every few races to avoid what happened to you. Yes, even if they still look OK :)

Seen a few people getting on the podium with BT45's, like i said, they have softer compound on the edges so plenty of grip for knee down and they are so cheap you might want to give them a try rather than miss a race.

In any case, how wide is your rear rim? A dunlop KR164 will work OK with a 2.5" too, cant believe a 550's is narrower than that.

California's AFM Round 2 Infineon Raceway 21 Apr 2011 21:14 #446163

• CoreyClough
  • CoreyClough's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Thanks for the heads up TG. I don't mind missing 1 race weekend.

There are about 12 guys racing the GPz550 in Canada's VRRA in Period 3 Light, and they say these Avon's Last a very long time. I know about tires and their heat cycles, and the wear, but seriously, before this past weekend even started, the tires looked and fl=elt the same as they always have. I should get a durometer for testing. My plan was to race on these tires and get new ones at the end of the year, but because they were on a backorder, I ran them this past weekend, based on how they looked and felt.

Just arrived to me today is a new rear Avon 130/650-18, and believe me I am not going racing till I get a new front to match. Looks like I will be missing the May 7-8 Weekend anyhow because of time, so I and waiting till June 4-5 to break these tires in. New belly pan, similar to yours, will be made to fit.

Like I said, for next year the 17" wheels will be on, and with all of the tire dalers at the track, I won't miss anything, not even my 18" wheels. With the 17" wheeels will come dual piston calipers, and Galfer Brake Discs for better braking, and a radial master cylinder.

Bottom lie is safety first, and not having any experience with these tires before, I went off what others have suggested, racing a year on them, then getting new ones.

Dang this racing stuff is fun isn't it? :woohoo:
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• Page: