Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

road racing AMA SBK kawis 28 Mar 2011 17:00 #441013

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
There's no track anywhere close to me, but I hope to prep a vintage bike and compete in Nova Scotia eventually. Dont know if it'll happen as I'll have to leave the bike up there and fly in and out for races.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

road racing AMA SBK kawis 28 Mar 2011 17:16 #441018

• turboguzzi
  • turboguzzi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 72

Tuber wrote: I will be racing this. Just had a practice session at the weekend, Went really well. A few niggles but is this the place to post and ask questions? Will hope to get some better pics.

hei tuber, that a really neat scoot

where are you located? under what club will you race?

this section is kind of new, lets see if the RR's here can get it goin'

will be happy to share with you my experiences from the last four seasons

TG

road racing AMA SBK kawis 28 Mar 2011 18:19 #441031

• Tuber
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the quick response. Hope this is the correct place to post then.
This is my first season racing. I'm entering club racing in Scotland. The bike will be competing against all bikes pre 88. I'm up against GSXR 11's, 750's etc. The engine has to remain the same CC as the manufacturers intended. The forks must be right way up. Everything else can be modified. (i.e) Harris frames, carbs, etc, but no wets or slicks. (its classed as Forgotten Era or Post Classic here). My first problem has come to light, I had trouble with poor fueling on one cylinder. This was solved with a good clean and flush of the carbs between sessions. The bike is very crisp off the mark and right through the rev range, however, at the same two places on the track (both right hand sweepers) the bike seems to labour, as if its only running on three cylinders. This happened every lap, the throttle is half closed scrubbing off speed. Then on acceleration there just doesn't seem to be the same response. It just doesn't pull as it should. Spectators watching from track side noticed this to. I had so many people asking about the bike and praise for how well we were performing. (apart from this fault I have) The only way i found to resolve the problem was to drop a gear and keep the throttle open more. The bike has a standard petcock and I'm thinking that I'm starving the carbs. Or. My float heights may be out of wack.
Near Edinburgh
Attachments:

road racing AMA SBK kawis 28 Mar 2011 19:31 #441051

• turboguzzi
  • User
Dont know much about racing in scottland, I am in touch with some people doing CRMC in england but no scotts...

I'm in the same situation like you, running a 750 with 810 kit against open classers, hope that on slower tracks it should be an advantage...

sounds to me like ignition gremlins, what system are you using?

Then of course you could play with needle height. Switching to proper Keihin CR's could help too... :)

Would try to eliminate all potential problem points though if the carbs where starving it would cut off at full throttle.

what's the plug's color like after a session?

road racing AMA SBK kawis 28 Mar 2011 21:34 #441092

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
do u think it could be lean in the middle? maybe try raising the needle 1 clip. it does seem odd that it is only on 1 turn?? :side:
since u had trouble with 1 cyl starving, maybe u still have some crap in the jets, making it pull week .
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

road racing AMA SBK kawis 29 Mar 2011 18:14 #441248

• Tuber
  • User
:) TG, Think you have helped me fix my problem. Checked the plugs and one was not burning correctly. traced this back to the coil pick ups being a little less than perfect condition. quick clean and everything seems great now. Nice fat sparks at the plugs.. Think i had been to fixated on the fueling problem. Cheers
Near Edinburgh

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 01:39 #441378

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Nice bike! Could you explain the holes in the sprocket cover? Zephyr 750? Way to be different!!!
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 07:44 #441394

• turboguzzi
  • User

Tuber wrote: :) TG, Think you have helped me fix my problem. Checked the plugs and one was not burning correctly. traced this back to the coil pick ups being a little less than perfect condition. quick clean and everything seems great now. Nice fat sparks at the plugs.. Think i had been to fixated on the fueling problem. Cheers

tell me about it, spent half a season wondering why i had an intermittent high speed misfire, turned out the HT cable had dislodged within the plug cap, was held there only by the rubber grommet....obviously you couldnt tell from the outside...

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 07:45 #441395

• turboguzzi
  • User

CoreyClough wrote: Nice bike! Could you explain the holes in the sprocket cover? Zephyr 750? Way to be different!!!

Why Zephyr? looks to me like a KZ750....

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 14:55 #441448

• Tuber
  • User

Attachment 20110328214505_225_1.jpg not found

Yip its a KZ750 L4. The main reason is to dump weight. Its only a sprocket cover. The majority of the metal has been left for the clutch mech. There is now no side covers on the bike. This was to allow me to remove the side panel mounts. Doesn't seem like much, but it soon ads up. Can I ask what gearing is suited to the bike as standard. or what the formula is for working it out? Im now running 16t x 42t with a 150-60-18 tyre fitted. Just wondered if anyone new!
Near Edinburgh
Attachments:

Last edit: by Tuber. Reason: Picture

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 17:42 #441461

• turboguzzi
  • User
hei tub, really nice shot, even if i've got stuff to say about your riding technique... ;)

Why dont you open your own thread, your bike deserves it!

Final gearing is one thing that you need to fine tune on track, usually you try to gear so you cna hook up 5th halfway past the longest straight but most important is to have a best compromise for good drive out of turns. You will need to have a nice range of sprockets though, somethin like 39,40, 41, 42, 43, just one will not do...

you can use also www.gearingcommander.com/ to get an idea.

just choose the kz750, or gpz and modify tire size and final ratio, works a treat

i am using 16 X 38 on longer tracks, 16 X 40 on shorter but have a smaller rear of 130/60-18.

road racing AMA SBK kawis 30 Mar 2011 18:42 #441471

• Tuber
  • User
I just knew someone would have a dig. :P
The picture was taken on my 4th or 5th lap. Wish it had been taken later on during the session. Took me a while to get the apex right, probably still not as good as I would like. It's probably the hardest corner on the track. What I have noticed, I'm off the edge of the front tyre while I still have a a few mm of chicken strip on the back. TG you can be critical if u want. I can take it:sick:
My first few laps were 1min 30sec. Got it down to 1min 20sec. Still not at race speed, but the bike handled like a dream and it was only practise.
Near Edinburgh