TOPIC:

shipping carrier choices 12 Jan 2023 07:11 #878763

• Gdizard
  • Gdizard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 12/03/1954
  • Thank you received: 2
[justify]Hello
     Does anyone have experience with shipping small packages?
   I have a cartridge worth about five hundred and I need to send it from Seattle to Connecticut.
I have had good experience with ups.
Does anyone here have any ideas?
Greg[/justify]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

shipping carrier choices 12 Jan 2023 07:59 #878765

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
I send and receive stuff worldwide and some come via UPS and have never had a problem.
When i ship out from UK i use Royal mail which gets picked up stateside by their equivalent USPS and never had an issue there either.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

shipping carrier choices 12 Jan 2023 08:38 #878767

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Um, USPS Priority Mail & get additional insurance. Or UPS w insurance. Or FedEx w insurance. 
In over 20 yrs I've had maybe 1 bill go missing by the USPS & never had a lost package, either sending or receiving by anyone.

ps: I bet most of them are the same, but I know that UPS literally throws almost every package from the back of the semi trucks that are unloaded every morning, so be sure to pack the thing properly.  It cracks me up when complain videos are posted of the delivery guy throwing a small package onto a porch.  How dare they throw that package of socks !!!

Last edit: by martin_csr.

shipping carrier choices 12 Jan 2023 15:19 #878783

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
I work at airport, right next to UPS and FexEx airport terminal and tarmac. because of the location I'm at, they sometimes use different location from their own(?) terminals.

And from what I see, everybody, I mean everybody throw the package. From the baggage cart to the container, bulk loads from the belly of the plane to belt loader, from belt loader into baggage cart...................... You get the point. Oh, and that "FRAGILE" stickers doesn't mean anything. Heck, half of the staff that's handling the packages don't understand or speak English anyway. This happens here on a small island. Can't imagine how bad in the mainland. USPS is not that far behind. But at least from what I see, at least they're little better in handling the packages, within their buildings. Once it leaves the post office buildings, they will be handed over to contractor and what they do with it, I have no idea because I never seen it for the obvious reason (that I'm not there).

BTW, we haven't think of anything for FedEx yet, but UPS goes by "United Package Smasher" or "Unified Packager Smasher". Take your pick.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

shipping carrier choices 12 Jan 2023 19:07 #878788

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 362
Years ago I was in China for work and shipped a framed picture (complete with the pane of glass) back to the US using DHL. When the package arrived, it was just the picture in a box with no padding.

And it was fine. The glass didn't even break. I have no idea how that happened.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

shipping carrier choices 13 Jan 2023 04:31 #878796

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I use the regular mail service unless the sender only has another method.  In the last 10 years I've only had one package lost.  It came from Z1E and got lost somewhere in the USA.  I also had one from Vintage connections that took about 2 months to show up.  That one was right in the middle of covid.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

shipping carrier choices 13 Jan 2023 05:48 #878797

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 369

ps: I bet most of them are the same, but I know that UPS literally throws almost every package from the back of the semi trucks that are unloaded every morning, so be sure to pack the thing properly.  It cracks me up when complain videos are posted of the delivery guy throwing a small package onto a porch.  How dare they throw that package of socks !!!
I spent 31 years at UPS starting at the very bottom and ending at Corporate HQ in Atlanta including working ion the hub and driving a package car (delivery). If I caught someone throwing packages in the hub they would have been dismissed immediately and the union would have backed me up. There are conveyor belts that are extended all the way into 40 ft Feeders so there is no reason to throw a package anywhere. I'm sure FedEx is similar. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

shipping carrier choices 13 Jan 2023 07:25 #878801

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Just telling you what I saw being done.  There were unloading managers standing right there.  Those semi-trucks were jam packed. And at 4:00 am, nobody is worried about kid gloves. ha ha.  And the point was to assume the worst & pack accordingly.  

Last edit: by martin_csr.

shipping carrier choices 13 Jan 2023 20:39 #878811

• Ojisan rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
I'll try to take some picture when I see it next time, if I remember................ But most of the time, I'm in my work van/truck heading to trouble (working as GSE Mechanic) so it will be bit difficult. Also, if the security catches me doing that, I may lose my ramp license................

But like martin, I saw it happen. I probably will see it happen tomorrow. Wait, I'm off tomorrow.
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

shipping carrier choices 15 Jan 2023 09:50 #878849

• ThatGPzGuy
  • Sustaining Member
  • More Sparky than Speed Racer
  • Thank you received: 369
I'm not saying it never happens. I'm just saying it is not allowed and is one of the few offenses (along with stealing or fudging paperwork) that will get you fired. 
That being said, to answer the OP's question... whichever of the shipping companies you use, be sure to overpack the item. There should be at least two inches of packing material around the item. Enclose your name and address inside the package in case the label is damaged. Also, a word on the "insurance", it's not insurance. You can write down the value of the contents and pay the additional fees but if it gets damaged you still will only get what the Company thinks it is worth or what it will take to repair. If the company determines the item was damaged due to insufficient packaging, the claim is denied. Using overnight or two-day shipping lessens the possibility of damage/lost due to being handled less. 
Finally, if you take the pkg to a UPS Store franchise location or similar, they will pack it for you and take responsibility if the item is damaged, but you will pay more. Your choice. 
Jim
North GA
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
1982 GPz750 R1
1974 Kawasaki H1
1976 Kawasaki KZ400
1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
2001 KZ1000P
2001 Yamaha YZ426
1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
1965 Mustang
1967 Triumph GT6
1976 Bronco
"If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"

shipping carrier choices 16 Jan 2023 10:41 #878883

• Gdizard
  • Gdizard's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 12/03/1954
  • Thank you received: 2
thank you all!
I am going with ups store location. I will pack with the sender info inside the box.
I will get insurance.
The local post office is understaffed and overworked.
They gave a three hundred dollar item to a neighbor and I recovered it after going to the post office and was given a record of the delivery.

Another time they mishandled a two thousand dollar item and created a large amount of damage.
One time fed ex left my package on a neighbors doorstep.
Last week I went to my post office and the clerk said they do not send their customers text messages and that was a scam.
But another employee took my tracking number and said it was out for delivery.

Last edit: by Gdizard.
  • Page: