76 LTD on ebay 20 Apr 2022 08:09 #865819

• 73z1
  • 73z1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 103
Pretty nice, bid=$12.6k
ebay.com/itm/134086240784

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

76 LTD on ebay 20 Apr 2022 10:39 #865830

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1843
Here we go again. I was ok with the listing till I read the description. It’s not restored, it’s rebuilt, or refreshed. All the frame hardware has been replaced with modern items. Braided front brake lines. Dyna S. Wrong rear sprocket. Drive chain is a missed detailed item. Wrong plug wires. Wrong bolt holding the seat latch in. Tank coated. It has a lot going for it but maybe my definition of “Restored” is wrong. 
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

76 LTD on ebay 21 Apr 2022 04:44 #865871

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
I think it's pretty nice!  It has some very hard to find components like the rear brake caliper and the air silencer.  The bolts look to be US made, not Japanese.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

76 LTD on ebay 21 Apr 2022 10:21 #865893

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
All chrome and aluminum parts like muffler, tach and speedo cover, cam cover, cylinder and head fins, main engine case, lower fork tubes have massive pitting. VIN sticker is repro, and so on.....

76 LTD on ebay 23 Apr 2022 06:43 #865996

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Picky, picky, picky.....man you guys are picky.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

76 LTD on ebay 23 Apr 2022 07:12 #865999

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2043
The word, restored, can cover quite a variety of outcomes. Some folks use it to describe a repaint. If we are going to really push the point, then is a bike with replacement tires made decades after the bike was manufactured really restored? How about non-1976 spark plugs, air filter or brake lines? Air in the tires? Does every washer and cotter pin have to be the actual ones installed by the factory? If NOS are ok, then why not parts that have superseded the original part number?
Is a fresh-out-of-the-crate bike really better as a motorcycle than one perfectly restored?
As just an average enthusiast, I find these arguments interesting, and sometimes a little amusing.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

76 LTD on ebay 23 Apr 2022 08:36 #866001

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
This is not an argument. It’s a choice of words, and internally using exaggerated terms to over sell something is not true. I like the bike, I’d be a proud owner of it. We as enthusiast know more than the average guy buying into this hobby. They are bidding on looks and hopefully an accurate description of the item. This claims to be restored and part of a collection. That my lead a novice buyer to bid higher then normally would. It’s all honesty in advertising. The last one, green A4 73z1 posted was advertised as a 12 month no expense spared restoration. If I was a novice buyer I’d think I was buying a correctly “restored” bike, and feel the high cost was legitimized. If it’s not as correct as available using NOS, replated or accepted replacement will allow, such as tires, exhaust, paint (no one has access to KHI paint) even rims (D.I.D. have become an acceptable item) it shouldn’t be call restored.

As far as factory “air” wasn’t a can of it listed on evilbay some time back. LOL. 

restore  verb
Save Word To save this word, you'll need to log in. Log In  
re·​store |  \ ri-ˈstȯr   \
restored; restoringDefinition of restore  transitive verb 1 GIVE BACK RETURN
2to put or bring back into existence or use
3to bring back to or put back into a former or original state 
4to put again in possession of something

A better term for the last two bikes 73z1 posted would be. Renewed, Rebuilt, rejuvenated. 
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

Last edit: by Mikaw.

76 LTD on ebay 23 Apr 2022 15:05 #866026

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 394

This is not an argument. It’s a choice of words, and internally using exaggerated terms to over sell something is not true. I like the bike, I’d be a proud owner of it. We as enthusiast know more than the average guy buying into this hobby. They are bidding on looks and hopefully an accurate description of the item. This claims to be restored and part of a collection. That my lead a novice buyer to bid higher then normally would. It’s all honesty in advertising. The last one, green A4 73z1 posted was advertised as a 12 month no expense spared restoration. If I was a novice buyer I’d think I was buying a correctly “restored” bike, and feel the high cost was legitimized. If it’s not as correct as available using NOS, replated or accepted replacement will allow, such as tires, exhaust, paint (no one has access to KHI paint) even rims (D.I.D. have become an acceptable item) it shouldn’t be call restored.

As far as factory “air” wasn’t a can of it listed on evilbay some time back. LOL. 

restore  verb
Save Word To save this word, you'll need to log in. Log In  
re·​store |  \ ri-ˈstȯr   \
restored; restoringDefinition of restore  transitive verb 1 GIVE BACK RETURN
2to put or bring back into existence or use
3to bring back to or put back into a former or original state 
4to put again in possession of something

A better term for the last two bikes 73z1 posted would be. Renewed, Rebuilt, rejuvenated. 
That was a little selective Mikaw, with all respect, you picked the definition that suited your argument, the other 3 accepted definitions leave the term "restored" wide open to include almost anything, especially "to bring back into existence or use"......   I understand what you mean but those definitions largely supported the other side of the argument..

76 LTD on ebay 23 Apr 2022 16:55 #866029

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1008
Or maybe refreshed.  In my opinion things that are identifiable as being from that model should look like the originals.  As an example, the bolts, all that I can see  are US standard, not Japanese.  Japanese bolts are easy to find if one is into restoration.  Using them just makes the job that much better.

What I liked about the bike was that most of the original parts were there...rear brake, air intake, original exhaust, gauges, etc.  Not many bikes have that much original stuff on them.

The bike is sold by the way.  $13,063.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

76 LTD on ebay 24 Apr 2022 06:44 #866050

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
That seems like a lot of money. I hope the buyer is fully aware of what he or she bought.

76 LTD on ebay 24 Apr 2022 07:14 #866054

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member

That seems like a lot of money. I hope the buyer is fully aware of what he or she bought.
This is my exact point. As enthusiast we have a love hate relationship with the increased values. If we want it to continue the new buyers need to be sure they are getting what they are paying for. I cant see anyone on this forum paying that kind of money. I have to assume the buyers at current prices are just getting into the hobby or are seeing prices on something they remember from their past increase and buying now thinking, it might be the best price they are gonna get. If new buyers are getting mislead and buying these bikes that are deliberately portrayed as collectors, no expense spared, and even museum quality, eventually find out they spent 13k on a bolt together item and needs additional serious time and money to make it actually worth 13k. The Z1/Kz will get a bad rap and the resale value will start to drop. 

I know I’m probably on the extreme side of correctness and the “Rivet Counter” in me only comes out against the sellers portrayal of the item. I can love a misfit as much as the next guy based on nice paint, bling, and especially skilled fabrication. 
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Jimi Hendrix.

76 LTD on ebay 24 Apr 2022 12:26 #866069

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
Might have been a Japanese buyer. They seem comfortable with paying a premium price for a decent bike.

• Page: