Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advice needed 08 Oct 2021 06:15 #856357

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
I don't pay more than 3.500 for a non running bike I don't care what the parts there you guys say that are worth I am not a in the business of selling parts, a non running bike like that is coming full of surprises an expenses to get it running and this one will need full disassemble to repaint the frame, full disasembly of enfgine to do shot pen to remove the engine paint everything re-chromed or replated and new paint job. 
That s a lot of money plus the more than 100 hours of work, then how much is going to be worth after that?
lets put it this way 
100 hours of work 7000 and thats cheap
parts 3000
core 3500
that ads up to 13500
will the bike be worth that.
Zhe other day I ran across a Z1R It was a rust bucket nothing needed total restoration and the parts for Z1R are unobtanium and some can be found in Japan only and are not cheap, I ask how much he guy throw 14 K because this bikes bring big money I see them going for 18 and 20 k on the market and even more he says.
I said to him the bike needs like 5k or more in parts, pain,recchrome,replating,tires,brakes I mean everything and whoever is going to fro it is going to put a 100 hours of work when the bike is finish it might be worth 20k and when he sell it will recover the money for the 100 hour of work is not making profit is just using a core bike to put his labour and recover it when he sell it.
People don't understand that the core of something is not worth big money. 
It is better sometimes to sell it for parts in my opinion.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice needed 08 Oct 2021 20:29 #856406

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 204

Not sure how that helps me but thanks for the info lol 

Read my first post and advertise it for sale in Japan.   Or you could put it on Fleabay and see what happens. Never know!!!

Rick H. 

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 06:33 #856411

• urankjj
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 74
This guy was mentioned before, good luck.   nycmc.com/sell-your-motorcycle-in-japan

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 08:59 #856419

• Move0ver
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36

This guy was mentioned before, good luck.   nycmc.com/sell-your-motorcycle-in-japan

He's got major street cred on the track and in the japan import scene.  He posts a lot of auction updates on instagram.

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 09:16 #856421

• 73z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 100

That s a lot of money plus the more than 100 hours of work, then how much is going to be worth after that?
lets put it this way
100 hours of work 7000 and that is cheap
parts 3000
core 3500
that ads up to 13500

Here is my reply
I have wanted cars and motorcycles over the past forty years I could not afford.
The only way to get what I wanted was to buy piles of junk which I have done many times.
$3500 for a pile of junk ?  That is a great deal!, my piles cost more.
I have owned fifty motorcycles over the years.
Many have been sold because I had to many, wanted more free space, or wanted another project.
Sure, Jay Leno and a few guys like him can hire experts to do skilled work, most people cannot.
I am very thankful for all the cool bikes and cars I have owned over the years.
Let's see, what is on ebay today ?

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 15:51 #856460

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 335

lets put it this way
100 hours of work 7000 and that is cheap
parts 3000
core 3500
that ads up to 13500

Here is my reply
I have wanted cars and motorcycles over the past forty years I could not afford.
The only way to get what I wanted was to buy piles of junk which I have done many times.
I have owned fifty motorcycles over the years.
Many have been sold because I had to many, wanted more free space, or wanted another project.
Sure, Jay Leno and a few guys like him can hire experts to do skilled work, most people cannot.
I am very thankful for all the cool bikes and cars I have owned over the years.
Let's see, what is on ebay today ?

Well, there's a couple early 80's classic 1100's, but I can't get a pasted link to show up here for some reason...

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 16:07 #856461

• 750 R1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 179

Here is my reply

That's how i've done it.    The op costs his labour out at 70 dollars an hour, that;s his SPARE time, do you charge your friends to help them on a project or fix the fence or whatever ?. If I charged out my time like that for everyone I've helped i'd be a bloody millionaire !!!  Ever heard of a hobby ?  I NEVER cost my own time into a build because it NEVER came out of my own pocket, or my working hours, I have to say it, you sound cheap, If you don't have the time to work on your own bikes and SAVE MONEY, then simply don't do it. I'm like 73Z1, Ive had over 40 bikes and i can't remember how many cars,  but because I never had the money to buy good ones, I bought rough ones and fixed them up, by doing a lot of the work myself I've saved 10's of thousands of dollars, actually, if I added it all up i've probably saved 100's of thousands. I bought an old Aussie ute {pickup} two years ago that needs a fair bit of work, for 1200 AUD, I've already been offered 10'000 and I've done nothing to it. Its appreciating faster than I can fix it and so are these bikes. I'm quite confused by your post, I know a hell of a lot of guys that fix and restore older bikes of all makes and NONE of them factor in their time, probably because they love what they do, never heard one complain about it either. 
Looking at your numbers you've ended up with  $6,500 dollar overall cost, that's a bargain in today's market....  If you think every hour you breathe is worth a dollar, you've missed the point....

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 17:29 #856469

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2834

Here is my reply

That's how i've done it.    The op costs his labour out at 70 dollars an hour, that;s his SPARE time, do you charge your friends to help them on a project or fix the fence or whatever ?. If I charged out my time like that for everyone I've helped i'd be a bloody millionaire !!!  Ever heard of a hobby ?  I NEVER cost my own time into a build because it NEVER came out of my own pocket, or my working hours, I have to say it, you sound cheap, If you don't have the time to work on your own bikes and SAVE MONEY, then simply don't do it. I'm like 73Z1, Ive had over 40 bikes and i can't remember how many cars,  but because I never had the money to buy good ones, I bought rough ones and fixed them up, by doing a lot of the work myself I've saved 10's of thousands of dollars, actually, if I added it all up i've probably saved 100's of thousands. I bought an old Aussie ute {pickup} two years ago that needs a fair bit of work, for 1200 AUD, I've already been offered 10'000 and I've done nothing to it. Its appreciating faster than I can fix it and so are these bikes. I'm quite confused by your post, I know a hell of a lot of guys that fix and restore older bikes of all makes and NONE of them factor in their time, probably because they love what they do, never heard one complain about it either. 
Looking at your numbers you've ended up with  $6,500 dollar overall cost, that's a bargain in today's market....  If you think every hour you breathe is worth a dollar, you've missed the point....

Exactly!   With that mindset it cost me $70 per hour to watch TV, sleep, etc.  Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Advice needed 09 Oct 2021 18:02 #856470

• Move0ver
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
Without going down the rabbit hole of "opportunity cost"...

There's lots of people who get more enjoyment in working on bikes than riding.  The hard work of getting an old bike back on the road is the most enjoyable part 

Advice needed 10 Oct 2021 06:49 #856484

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 204
There's a lot of truth in what you say MoveOver.  I don't ride near as much as I used to for a host of reasons, age for one, traffic conditions around me for another.  So I putz around with my Kawi and BMW just cleaning or doing this and that.  I actually enjoyed figuring out my recent charging system problem on my KZ-1000 and correcting it to give me something to do on it and making an upgrade to it.  If I go out for a serious ride I'll take the K1600, but that seems to be getting less and less.  But at least both bikes are ready to go at a moments notice.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Advice needed 10 Oct 2021 07:10 #856487

• ronnieV
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 82
I own several bikes,my 03 Valkyrie being my favorite to ride,I call it my couch with balls,that said my heart goes to old KZ's,to me it's fun to find them , restore them as best as I can and on to the next one.I don't do it for the money,it's the love for the machines and joy of standing back and looking at your work when finished.If I got paid for all my time spent I too would be a rich man.
77 ltd1000 80 ltd1000 93 zr1100 zepher.02 red zrx 12r, 03 valkyrie (my couch) 65 olds 442

Advice needed Yesterday 09:30 #856777

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
Has anybody sold a bike trough this people in Japan?I rad his page and everything sounds Coll except one thing and it is the import duties, when you sending something back to the country of origin is no an import as it was made in that country should be a repatriation maybe is not the right work, but in USA is like that, when my friend brought back some tractors from South America that were made in USA he did not have to pay import duties as the tractors were made in USA and already tax were paid for it, unless I the case that this Japanese bikes like Kawasaki were assembled in USA might be the case they apply import tax don't know this cashed my attention.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

• Page: