TOPIC: Tire Changer Experiences?

Tire Changer Experiences? 04 Apr 2018 21:22 #781306

• ajsfirehawk
  • ajsfirehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 88

bluej58 wrote: Make sure to plumb and balance your balancer before using it

I understand making sure it is level both directions. How do you balance your balancer Blue?
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
06 ZG1000 Concours
02 Trans Am ... not enough time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tire Changer Experiences? 05 Apr 2018 03:37 #781312

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 367
I bought a cheap one but it has adjustable feet so after I straightened out the twist in the base plate it leveled out nicely using a plumbers level across the top of the arms where the rod sits.
Then I plumbed up the arms and stuck shims where needed to line up both the arms, you can see one sticking out under the left arm.
I also marked the spot on my bench so I put it in the same place every time.
The picture also reminded me to say that baby powder on the tube helps to position it in the tire, but try not to spill it on the ground, very slippery.
With the 4 small roller bearings in the arms the wheel spins forever and is very sensitive .
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

Last edit: by bluej58.

Tire Changer Experiences? 06 Apr 2018 19:25 #781379

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
I battled with the balancer today. I moved it to my main workbench, marked a spot so being level will be repeatable without fuss. The bubble level on the base of the unit wasn't close, plastic POS that is was. I got out the 6 foot framing level, set it front to rear, left to right and verified in an X pattern. As for the tire,that didn't seat the bead, it took 3 passes of pulling the valve stem, running it through the bead breaker and refilling it to over 60 lbs. It wasn't until I sprayed a bit of watered down installation lube and I finally got both beads to pop. I followed that with a close visual inspection, good to go. Once both of those things were complete, the balance cam in to line easily. I still have some runout in the balancer shaft. If I roll it across the workbench it makes a rhythmic tap tap tap. I believe the vendor is sending another although I have limited confidence it will be any better. Anyway, I'm in business now.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
06 ZG1000 Concours

Tire Changer Experiences? 07 Apr 2018 05:01 #781385

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 367
The bubble level on mine was a joke too,
I have had trouble with the metric tires in the past, the only tire that really works well for me is the Avon Roadriders 19/3.25 and 18/4.00
They fit like a glove, grab the road and give me 10,000+ miles
www.denniskirk.com/avon/am26-roadrider-tire.pfp543162.prdf

Are you using tubes in those tires?
I had trouble with using too much tire lube and had my valve stem rip a couple of times on the rear tire from it slipping on the rim :woohoo:
I put the rim locks back on and use a minimal amount of lube these days, problem solved.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Tire Changer Experiences? 07 Apr 2018 10:18 #781413

• ajsfirehawk
  • Sustaining Member
  • Sustaining Member
No tubes, the 82 had mags that are tubeless. I think my 79 KZ650 D2 does as well. Now I'll have to look. B) I put Avons on the last two bikes I did for friends and family. Love them. This bike is going up for sale and I got a good price on the Michelin Pilot Activs. I had to take one of them up to 60 lbs pressure before the beads popped in and that was the third try. Not a great idea in retrospect, but there were no casualties.
79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
06 ZG1000 Concours

• Page: