TOPIC:

Fabricate plug protectors, bolt to valve cover? 22 Oct 2010 06:57 #408217

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245
crazy homeless guy wrote:

Kidkawie wrote:

How about those PITA spark plug shields Dodges have?

How strong are these? ....twice they perp has taken a red clay brick and smashed it into the side of the bike to break the spark plug. He hit it hard enough to chip a piece of one of the cooling fins, and to chip a few pieces of red brick off, and leave dust everywhere. :(

They aren't too strong as they are made of sheet metal. They might be a deterrent though, or with a little inginuity, slide one inside another.

I thought they were walking up and maybe hitting them with a hammer or using pliers to snap them off. If they're hitting it with a brick you should look into those sheilds to protect your fins as well. If it were my bike I'd move it in fear of them breaking something more valuable on it.

Good luck man, the world sucks sometimes.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fabricate plug protectors, bolt to valve cover? 22 Oct 2010 07:37 #408222

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
650ed wrote:

If you are serious about solving the problem there is IMHO only one legal way to do it, but it will cost a few (not too many) bucks. You need to set up a camera and light on a motion detector. Ed

Nice idea. I know a few hunters using trail cameras that take pictures when the infrared sensor is triggered. Certain models have infrared flash so the "game" doesn't know they are photographed. But humans are a bit smarter than deer and many hunters lose their trail cameras to thieves. If you can set one up in a protected area I think you'll be good to go when they mess with the bike the next time.

www.google.com/search?q=trail+cameras&ie...&fp=2a7f530f8e11d6bf
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Fabricate plug protectors, bolt to valve cover? 22 Oct 2010 08:53 #408233

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
OKC_Kent wrote:
But humans are a bit smarter than deer and many hunters lose their trail cameras to thieves. If you can set one up in a protected area I think you'll be good to go when they mess with the bike the next time.

A friend has one set up on the side of his house. The light is up high on the house - out of reach, and the camera is indoors behind the window. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Fabricate plug protectors, bolt to valve cover? 26 Oct 2010 18:12 #409259

• Kapahulu
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I can't believe these idiots would go around breaking spark plugs. Well it's better than knocking the bike over or scratching your paint.

The potato gun sounds like a good idea if you can't afford to move or garage the bike.
1978 KZ1000, 1976 KZ900, 1975 H2, 1973 H1, 1973 H2, 1978 RD400, 1977 RD400, 1974 RD350
2strokeworld.com