Worlds Biggest KZ650?

More
09 Dec 2006 09:02 #98446 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
KZB2 650 wrote:

Yes Reborn I agree on the 810 kit. Mainly just thought you guys would like hearing of other combos. Great to know questions can be asked about it when the time comes and I can count on the answers.
Thats what KZR is all about, helping others build their dream bikes

Your thought on the 750 head sounds very wize to steell gotta add to the top end.

77kz650 seems like your always there to help with a answer to so with all the help here I'm feeling more and more like breaking down and spending the cash.
I try and help where I can, Ive done most of my research on the 650/750 mods, and theres stiil lots for me to learn yet

Will be taking my time though.
haha, mine still isnt together, just cant seem to focus since I got the big bad ZX....Both will be ready and shining for spring though

Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 10:41 #98473 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
now you guys are getting my attention!:P a little ol 810 in a short little chassis would be fun for zipping around town on .my only question is what kind of power are ya getting for the money compared to a mild 900-1000?;)

More
09 Dec 2006 10:52 #98476 by 77KZ650
what exactly is mild to you? (let me guess, 1075cc, port clean up/match, 29mm mikunis and a kerker?):laugh:

01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 12:22 #98509 by wireman
na im thinking something really cheap and easy like a header good ignition and a set of 28s;)

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
09 Dec 2006 12:46 #98519 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
wireman wrote:

now you guys are getting my attention!:P a little ol 810 in a short little chassis would be fun for zipping around town on .my only question is what kind of power are ya getting for the money compared to a mild 900-1000?;)

It's not all in the "size matters" genre, but more of hiding your assets and catching folks off guard.

Remember the lowly lil' Vegas and Monzas with a supercharged (or juice enhanced) big block stuffed into it them guys actually built?
Now picture the respect/acknowledgement a 20+ year old bike with the OEM KZ650 badges on the side covers will get. Proberbly might get a shrug or a laugh or two......at first sight that is!
Guaran-dam-ted though, it's sure gonna make some of the crotch rocket/slot car crowd think twice before offering up the pink on another of their priced "plastic monsters" against a vehicle that old ever again! :whistle: :evil: :laugh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
09 Dec 2006 13:12 #98530 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
Your point is well taken wireman but personaly for me its mainly for the love of my bike.

Made up many a list for a 900/1000 and my 650 and have come to your same conclution that a 1000 would probaly be the way to go but I just have such a love for my 650.

Its been a part of me since 1980 and I realize the cash and effort it will take. Still hav'nt commited totaly to the idea but probaly will. Glad to hear your insite on it.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Dec 2006 13:25 #98536 by wireman
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

wireman wrote:

It's not all in the "size matters" genre, but more of hiding your assets and catching folks off guard.

Remember the lowly lil' Vegas and Monzas with a supercharged (or juice enhanced) big block stuffed into it them guys actually built?
Now picture the respect/acknowledgement a 20+ year old bike with the OEM KZ650 badges on the side covers will get. Proberbly might get a shrug or a laugh or two......at first sight that is!
Guaran-dam-ted though, it's sure gonna make some of the crotch rocket/slot car crowd think twice before offering up the pink on another of their priced "plastic monsters" against a vehicle that old ever again! :whistle: :evil: :laugh:

so youre telling me running stock z1 emblems on the 1385 turbo aint gonna fool em?ill just tell em its factory experimental!:P i like the idea of the 650 chassis with a big motor to zip around on,but im just trying to stay concentrated on the current 20-30 projects!:P damn the S.A.D.D (serious add !):P

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
09 Dec 2006 14:00 #98546 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
wireman wrote:

so youre telling me running stock z1 emblems on the 1385 turbo aint gonna fool em?ill just tell em its factory experimental!:P i like the idea of the 650 chassis with a big motor to zip around on,but im just trying to stay concentrated on the current 20-30 projects!:P damn the S.A.D.D (serious add !):P

Sure, why not! ;)

While not all of the newer folks to street or track racing are as oblivious, there are still enough of them out there (who will race for pinks) that had their parents pony up the cash to buy them the biggest and (reportedly) fastest crotch rocket out there and are truely clueless = easy pickings! :evil:
Just look for the paper dealers license plate and the wide-eyed scared looking rider with more testosterone than common sense and you're all set! ;):laugh:
Heck, some of them have not only never seen a turbo'd bike before, but never even knew that there were turbos available for bikes! :pinch: :laugh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
11 Dec 2006 08:36 #98993 by 77KZ650
Taken from the GPZ mod FAQ

As for piston kits, the Wiseco K 810 kit ( 807 cc, 10.25 to 1) is a less costly way to go compared to the Kaw over size pistons. The kit comes complete with wrist pins, keepers and a Cometic graphite head gasket that is the greatest for sealing tight and having absolutely no leaks. The pistons are forged and machined to exact tolerances so that the set is exactly the same. The valve pockets are cut deeper for higher lift cams. As for horse power with this kit, expect to get 83 to 88 at the rear wheel with the stock deck and head heights. The factory manual lists HP at the crank which is always higher in number.

not bad for a "little" bike eh Wireman?

More
11 Dec 2006 08:43 #98996 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic Worlds Biggest KZ650?
On the topic of racing sportbike riders:

I think that a lot of people mistakenly think that because they have a ZX9 or GSXR1000 that they will automatically win any race against a "smaller" bike.

What these people don't realize is that to make the machine run it's best time you have to be a good rider. You have to know exactly when your bikes powerband kicks in in each gear, when it wanes off, and when it will be at the good part of the powerband for the next gear up so that you shift at the proper times to always be at your best torque.

I've actually beat multiple ZX6's, ZX9's, GSXR6/750's, etc. with my stock KZ650 simply because I knew how to wind it out to the proper shift point and then slam it into the next gear while matching and rolling the throttle.

Basically, I think it's funny that sportbike riders who are younger (under 23) think that racing is all about the bike, when in reality the bike can't race itself. :laugh:

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/11 11:43

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2006 12:26 #99034 by wireman

Post edited by: wireman, at: 2006/12/14 08:44

• wireman
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2006 13:25 #99051 by wireman
77KZ650 wrote:

Taken from the GPZ mod FAQ

As for piston kits, the Wiseco K 810 kit ( 807 cc, 10.25 to 1) is a less costly way to go compared to the Kaw over size pistons. The kit comes complete with wrist pins, keepers and a Cometic graphite head gasket that is the greatest for sealing tight and having absolutely no leaks. The pistons are forged and machined to exact tolerances so that the set is exactly the same. The valve pockets are cut deeper for higher lift cams. As for horse power with this kit, expect to get 83 to 88 at the rear wheel with the stock deck and head heights. The factory manual lists HP at the crank which is always higher in number.

not bad for a "little" bike eh Wireman?

that seems pretty damn respectable to me!:evil: :P