Holy Smokes!!!

More
17 Nov 2006 19:27 #92868 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Holy Smokes!!!
92043A (2 each) and 92055 (2 each) in the following diagram are essential

KD9JUR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2006 07:49 #93129 by Unitrak
Replied by Unitrak on topic Holy Smokes!!!
Are you sure that you assembled/installed the oil control ring(s) correctly? The upper set of rings is for compression. The lower set of rings provide lube and prevent oil loss. The lower rings are held in place by sitting on the litle edge of the oil (wrinkled) ring. This makes them fit tight to the cylinder.

If the oil control rings slip out of position (as could happen during re-assembly) the engine will not fully seal and will blow a lot of oil. Please don't ask me how I know.:pinch:

God made only a few perfect bikes, he covered the rest in chrome or plastic.

More
19 Nov 2006 09:47 #93158 by Unitrak
Replied by Unitrak on topic Holy Smokes!!!
BTW I should also have said that if the oil control rings are not in the correct position compression will test good.

More
19 Nov 2006 11:27 #93186 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Holy Smokes!!!
Xtr3m3 wrote:

Are there any valve oil seals or O-Rings somewhere that could cause this problem? It appears that the oil is coming from the head and not the case.

I think You may have just figured out what went wrong.
Yes,there are valve-guide seals on each valve stem.Did You put new ones(or any)on when You put things back together?

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Nov 2006 19:28 #93318 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Holy Smokes!!!
Here's a stab in the dark on this problem....It's possible [not likely] that the oil control wave rings are overlapped. If you overlap even one of them, you'll blow oil out the pipe and it will smoke like a 2 stroke on a 10:1 mix.

Ooops..didn't see the other post about this possible problem.....and I won't ask....

Post edited by: larrycavan, at: 2006/11/19 22:31