Help identify engine noise ?

More
30 Aug 2006 18:57 #73541 by Exitpupil
Help identify engine noise ? was created by Exitpupil
Hi all. I am a newbe. I just bought a 79 KZ1000 LTD from the original one owner. The bike is stock except for a 4 to 1 header. The bike had been sitting in his basement for 20 years and has only 4K miles. I got the bike started and was able to ride it up and down the driveway, but there is a loud whine coming from the motor on the LHS. The whine speeds up and slows down with RPMS. I am not familiar with these bikes but it does not sound right to me. Is this normal for Kawasakis? Would the starter or clutch whine if something is wrong? Advise please if there is something I should check?

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2006 20:40 #73569 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Help identify engine noise ?
starter hanging up?

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
30 Aug 2006 20:49 #73572 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Welcome! Air cooled bikes tend to be on the noisy side. When you first own a bike that has an exposed engine, you will hear all sorts of things. The best thing would be to find a local KZRider member and get together and compare notes or more accurately, compare noises. Does the noise you hear vary in pitch with engine speed?

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2006 21:18 #73578 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help identify engine noise ?
its a little tough to diagnose engine noises without hearing the noise.a shot in the dark would be loose cam chain or maybe some loose valves or it could just be normal noise.:S

More
30 Aug 2006 21:57 #73588 by kzmarvo
Replied by kzmarvo on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Make sure there isnt a cat stuck somewheres in your bike.:P

Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
30 Aug 2006 21:58 #73589 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Your bike sounds like a heck of a nice find. Pictures please.:)

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• wireman
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2006 22:06 #73591 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help identify engine noise ?
kzmarvo wrote:

Make sure there isnt a cat stuck somewheres in your bike.:P

boy you suck 1 cat into a turbo and they never let ya live it down!:ohmy: :whistle: :P

More
31 Aug 2006 04:53 #73611 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Well I got to listen to another bike and it doe not have my sound. It's not a mechanical click like valves or cam chain. Would the dynamo howl if the battery was low? I was suspecting the starter not disengaging or the dynamo. It more closely sounds like a car altenator going bad. Suggestions on a plan of action?

(We did lose a family cat in the 60's when my dad started the car with it laying on the warm engine in the winter, no electric fans back then. Fur was flying out from under the hood but there was no whine.)

79 KZ1000 LTD B3, 1075 kit, BS34 carbs, high velocity ported heads, K410 cams, V&H pipe w/custom baffle

More
31 Aug 2006 09:20 #73645 by oldkaw79
Replied by oldkaw79 on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Could be the cam chain. A low mileage motor will have the cam chain whistle to them.

More
31 Aug 2006 17:32 #73730 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Help identify engine noise ?
The dynamo (alternator) uses a large permanent magnet rotor that adds weight to the crankshaft. If it makes a noticeable noice there's a good chance the starter clutch is not disengaging. There are three polished steel rollers and three springs that control when it engages and disengages. Once the engine turns faster than the starter, the rollers disengage.

Maybe your starter is running on due to a problem with the solenoid or starter button? The clutches would disengage and it the engine would not drive the starter - this is how the starter clutch is designed.

Where are you located? I'm in Jax, FL

More
31 Aug 2006 19:12 #73756 by Exitpupil
Replied by Exitpupil on topic Help identify engine noise ?
I'm in NW North Carolina. I guess I'll pull the case off and check the starter disengagement. I'm afraid if I run it I'll ruin an expensive part.

More
31 Aug 2006 19:24 #73758 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Help identify engine noise ?
Before I would pull off the engine case, I would take out the starter and see if it shuts off. It's fairly easy to do:

1. disconnect the battery ground
2. remove gas tank
3. remove 2 bolts over the chromed starter cover, under the carbs on the left side.
4. remove the two bolts holding the starter in place
5. push the starter toward the right side of the engine and lift it up out of the starter bay

At this point you have about 30 minutes into the job and have two things you can do.

1. reconnect the battery and don't ground any of the big cable that goes to the starter... turn the key on and press the starter button and release. See if the starter stops turning. Be careful as this might cause the starter to flop around due to the torque and it could short out the big power cable. Starter must be touching the engine for a ground.

2. with the engine NOT RUNNING, you can stick your finger in the round hole where the starter drive goes. There should be a large gear, fairly thin, and you should be able to turn it one way but not the other. This is the starter reduction gear that engagesw the starter clutches. If you can turn it one way freely and not the other, then the starter clutch is OK.

Hope this helps... IM me if you want to talk over the weekend.