Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Had a leak, now wont go. 20 Aug 2006 15:04 #71145

• 750LTDRider
  • 750LTDRider's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, new to the forum, but have had my bike for about 2 years now. I have a 83 750 LTD Shaft. Had an annoying oil leak for a while, and it seemed to be coming from the left cover where the shifter goes in. So this weekend I spent tearing it apart. My Clymers manual was no help since it seems it does not cover the shaft drive. By trial and error, it seemed the only way to get the cover off, was to remove the rear wheel, and the swing arm to get the shaft out of the way enough to get the cover off. Replaced the seal on the shifter, and the gasket on the cover. Just went out to test drive and first thing noticed was that it was still leaking. Looks like some of the seals need to be replaced around the shaft. Ok so still leaking but lets go for a drive anyhow. Put it in first and nothing. I could only get this shifter to go between nuetral and first, but no mattter what, when the clutch comes out, nothing. Now Im about ready to toss the bike, really frustrating. I just got done doing all this, plus cleaned all the carbs, and now it wont even move. What did I do? I dread having to tear it all down again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Had a leak, now wont go. 20 Aug 2006 17:56 #71177

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
I dont know anything about shafties but it sounds like you need to adjust the clutch. Does your clutch cable enter the side cover which you removed ? - like on the convenional 750. If so then you may have disturbed the mechanism. It may not have lined up correctly with the clutch pushrod when you replaced it. Maybe just start by doing a routine clutch adjustment - your Clymers should have the proceedure.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Had a leak, now wont go. 20 Aug 2006 18:04 #71179

• 750LTDRider
  • User
The clutch feels fine, and I have had the cable off before. But I will check the manual and see if that is it tomorrow.

Had a leak, now wont go. 20 Aug 2006 21:21 #71247

• geerbangr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
750 i don't think i'm understanding what you disassembled,the bevel gear drive ?? what the shaft connects to ?? You should have been able to push the pin out of the shaft coupler and slide it out of the way to work on the bevel drive gear if that's what you worked on,I ride an 85 shafty,pretty simple setup to work on,oh by the way,clymers manuals make good toilet paper that's about it.If you can post some pics i should be able to help you,the bevel drive assembly should have a couple big orings to seal it that may be the problem.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Had a leak, now wont go. 22 Aug 2006 09:54 #71575

• 750LTDRider
  • User
Yes the font bevel gear. Pic attatched. I did not get a chance to look at the clutch but after thinking about it, I am pretty sure that is what happened. I dont remember seeing a pin to push out on the shaft coupler. From what I could see, the only way to separate it, was to unbolt the swing arm since the shaft goes through it.

I need to get the o-ring where the shaft goes in #92055 on the diagram. I think that is my only leak now, since it only leaks while the engine is running. It used to drip constantly. I just am dreading tearing all this down again. At least since I did it once already, I should be able to do it in less time. I just wish I had a lift. My legs are still sore from bending down for so long.
Attachments:

Had a leak, now wont go. 22 Aug 2006 09:59 #71578

• 750LTDRider
  • User
Is this the pin you were talking about? #610 on the diagram.

Post edited by: 750LTDRider, at: 2006/08/22 13:00
Attachments:

Had a leak, now wont go. 22 Aug 2006 21:34 #71747

• geerbangr
  • User
yeah 750 that's the pin,don't push it down very far or you'll be tearing everything apart again just push it in far enough to get the shaft off the bevel gear,once you get the shaft off the bevel gear get a magnet and pull the pin out,it jus rides in hole and the spring for it is around the nut on the bevel gear you should'nt have to take it out,it might come out on you ,no biggie if it does,jus don't lose track of the pin!!!!if you have any other problems hollar at me i'd be glad to help.Also while im thinkin about it,when you pull the bevel gear off to replace the o ring be very careful of the shims between the bevel gear and the housing if you stick something between them to pry them apart you will fluck the shims all up,there jus made of copper i think and whatever you do don't lose them.
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Had a leak, now wont go. 25 Aug 2006 12:08 #72431

• 750LTDRider
  • User
Ok got it out and put the the o-ring on. Figured while I have it off, might as well replace both o-rings. I am having some trouble figuring out how to get the other housing off. Do I need to pull that nut(#92015) off under the cover(#11012)? I can only get it to move 1/4 of an inch out right now. That nut has a flange that has been pushed into a notch on the shaft and it does not look like it will be fun getting it loose. I did notice some seepage around this cover so I would like to replace it if possible. The old o-ring was so brittle it broke when I tried to take it off, im sure the other is the same.

Had a leak, now wont go. 25 Aug 2006 12:11 #72432

• 750LTDRider
  • User
Oh yea, I figured out right away what was wrong with the clutch. The littl shaft that sits on the gear had rotated and was out of its gear. Wont make that mistake again.

Had a leak, now wont go. 26 Aug 2006 06:04 #72616

• 750LTDRider
  • User
geerbangr, got any advice for me on this one?

Had a leak, now wont go. 09 Sep 2006 11:00 #75471

• geerbangr
  • User
750 did you get your bike going ???
:whistle:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

Had a leak, now wont go. 09 Sep 2006 11:02 #75472

• geerbangr
  • User
750 did you get your bike going ???
:whistle:
1978 KZ 1000

I go by Jason

• Page: