Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Top end and 1/4 mi times 24 Jul 2006 20:10 #64429

• racer54
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 114
I have a 1075 kit, 29 smoothbores, V&H street header(with baffle in), no head work, stock ignition, cams, etc....basically the piston kit, carbs, and a header. I am usually in the 12.0-12.2 range at about 105-107 mph. One day it will run 12.0 with an occasional 11.9, and next time it will be 12.1's. So, you are very close. I'm about 170 lbs. For me, the traction is the key point. If I can find the right spot, then I get the low 12's. Last weekend I didn't find it and was running high 12.1's. I always thought it should be faster too. I have run 11.4's with a slick and bars(back in the early 80's(same motor), so I know it has to be my lack of riding ability. I was always told that bars are worth half a second, so maybe they were right, but I have talked to guys who said they have been mid to low elevens with my set-up, so either it's a bunch of bull or I have some practice to do!!! But practice as I do, these times seem to be all this bike can muster, so...
1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Top end and 1/4 mi times 24 Jul 2006 22:06 #64459

• Dtowncats
  • Dtowncats's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Z1R rider wrote:

1/4 mile ET and mph look right, but the 1/8 mile mph seems high, sure it's not 88 mph? those darn et slips can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

Yes you are right. His 1/8th mile mph was around 88. I messed up. My dad weighs around 165. It was a pretty humid day though. We weren't sure if it was even going to happen because the track was wet from the morning rain.

My dad had a very similar set-up back in the early 90's and it ran 11.3s all day with a slick and bars and he even predicted this one would run a 12.3. He was dead on.

The bike he had back in the 90s eventually found its way to being a strictly drag bike that ran 9.4xs in the 1/4 mi. So my dad has the racing experience.

My dad was actually asking me about these new "Hayabusa-eaters". I knew he was talking about the ZX-14. Either way when he decides to sell his bike, I am going to be deciding between his bike and my cousin's R6. We live in PA and the KZ couldn't pass inspection because there was no baffle in his pipe.

A very well known engine builder in my area told my dad to get a diff. pipe for the bike(if he wants to go faster) because the one he has is for bigger motors. But I think the sound is unbeatable with this pipe.

Top end and 1/4 mi times 25 Jul 2006 05:10 #64486

• wireman
  • Visitor
Dtowncats wrote:

Z1R rider wrote:

1/4 mile ET and mph look right, but the 1/8 mile mph seems high, sure it's not 88 mph? those darn et slips can be pretty hard to read sometimes.

Yes you are right. His 1/8th mile mph was around 88. I messed up. My dad weighs around 165. It was a pretty humid day though. We weren't sure if it was even going to happen because the track was wet from the morning rain.

My dad had a very similar set-up back in the early 90's and it ran 11.3s all day with a slick and bars and he even predicted this one would run a 12.3. He was dead on.

The bike he had back in the 90s eventually found its way to being a strictly drag bike that ran 9.4xs in the 1/4 mi. So my dad has the racing experience.

My dad was actually asking me about these new "Hayabusa-eaters". I knew he was talking about the ZX-14. Either way when he decides to sell his bike, I am going to be deciding between his bike and my cousin's R6. We live in PA and the KZ couldn't pass inspection because there was no baffle in his pipe.

A very well known engine builder in my area told my dad to get a diff. pipe for the bike(if he wants to go faster) because the one he has is for bigger motors. But I think the sound is unbeatable with this pipe.

just like car exhuast everybody thinks ya gotta have 2 1/4" primary tube headers because the big guys do when 1 3/4" is what their motor really needs.;)

Top end and 1/4 mi times 25 Jul 2006 05:21 #64489

• Lorcan
  • User
  • Speed Loony
  • Thank you received: 59
Nice looking bike Modprod btw ;)
760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

Top end and 1/4 mi times 25 Jul 2006 05:22 #64491

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Doesn't take much to fab up a baffle to get past a "friendly" inspector. Raceworks in Canada used to sell a baffle for a Hindle Sidewinder years ago. Two round pieces that fit in pipe and a piece of perforated tubing all welded together. Held in pipe by a screw.

Top end and 1/4 mi times 25 Jul 2006 10:56 #64583

• modprod
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Lorcan wrote:

Nice looking bike Modprod btw ;)

Thanks Lorcan.......mod

• Page: